PDA

View Full Version : MY 85 250r Restoration/rebuild has begun MORE PICS 4-6-07

dizasterzrfun69
01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Well as some of you know i bought an 85 250r back in september and i wasnt exactly pleased with it. It needed TONS of work, like every bearing on it, needed engine rebuilt, wheels/tires, etc... So i decided to do it right. I am going to be rebuilding the engine, replacing all bearings, replacing all cables, rebuilding the forks, shock, im even "rebuilding" the thumb throttle. I am going to be replacing or refurbishing everything on the bike.

So far i have got the frame and some other little parts powdercoated alert red, I have ordered lots of parts for it including new maier fenders, cables, bearings, brake pads, and ronnies swinger bolt and fork caps. I have a load of parts at the powdercoater as we speak and im expecting to get them back in 1-2 weeks and then i can really start to put i together. I have been slacking on starting this thread so i figured its about time. here are some pics of it before i started and the little progress i have made so far.

Kevin

dizasterzrfun69
01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
heres a few more pics

ceaserthethird
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Good Luck , Take your Time ...

How much you planning on Spending on ReBuilding ?

dizasterzrfun69
01-17-2007, 08:20 PM
im not real sure how much i'll end up spending. I just buy a little bit here and a little bit there. IM guessing it'll be around $2500-$3000 when all said and done. thats more than fine because it will be a NEW 1985 atc250r :w00t: I also forgot to mention its not going to be a "stock" 250r. It will most likely have an 86 carrier and swinger, its getting a paul turner pipe, my own color scheme, probablly some reeds, etc nothing too drastic.

dizasterzrfun69
01-17-2007, 08:31 PM
heres some more pics not sure if i'll use this swinger but im getting it powdercoated just incase

oldsking86
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
If your going to have power and want a nice dragger keep that swinger! haha
Frame is bright, but nice indeed

firefirefire90
01-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Look at the good points. You have a liquid cooled 250R!!! Good luck on your project!

dizasterzrfun69
01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
If your going to have power and want a nice dragger keep that swinger! haha
Frame is bright, but nice indeed

I have an 86 esr310 with a +12 swinger. that ones gonna be my DRAG bike :w00t:

ceaserthethird
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Frame look's good , What did it cost to powder coat ?

dizasterzrfun69
01-19-2007, 02:43 AM
for the frame, a +3 swinger, all 3 hubs and the radiator guards/brackets it cost me $220 Total to have it sandblasted and powdercoated. not a bad deal but it wasnt a smoking deal either.

sandpuppi101
01-19-2007, 09:55 AM
So you are gonna personalize it with your own color scheme,I will be keeping an eye on how you are doing it,I love seeing machines restored to OEM ,but the custom ones are also at the top of the list also,I know with you it will end up looking great!

dizasterzrfun69
02-21-2007, 02:36 AM
alright guys ive been working on it a little bit but i cant decide on which swinger to use. I have a stock length 86 R swinger thats powdered white OR i have an 85 swinger thats like +2 or +3 powdered red. I was going to use the white,stock length 86 swinger so i already put my brand new bearings in the 86 carrier. However if it would look/be better i could try and switch them to the 85 carrier. It's going to be a red bike with white accents and a little bit of black in there. This is going to be an all around bike too. I already have a "drag" bike. any input would be great. thanks

ceaserthethird
02-21-2007, 02:49 AM
let's see some up-dated pictures ...

Dammit!
02-21-2007, 03:11 AM
For an all around bike, keep the stock length swinger. There's no point to extending a swingarm unless you really need to do it.

dizasterzrfun69
02-21-2007, 03:19 AM
For an all around bike, keep the stock length swinger. There's no point to extending a swingarm unless you really need to do it.

thats kinda what im leaning towards. I just have so many 250r parts powdercoated in different colors i cant decide what to use. :lol:

I'll try to get some pics wednesday sometime.

edog
02-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Keep the stock swingarm.

Looks like a good foundation for a restore.

dizasterzrfun69
02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Keep the stock swingarm.

Looks like a good foundation for a restore.

yea its not going to be a stock resotre though. I think it will be cheaper and more custom to just put what i want on it with the colors i want. I've seen what nos atc parts go for :lol: it will be like new and very nice when done though.

dizasterzrfun69
02-21-2007, 07:47 PM
alright guys, i know its my build and i should use what I want..but i need some input. What should i use for the swingarm pivot bearings? I have some of jims bushings i can use or a i have a new set of all balls bearings. I have ronnies stainless swinger bolt so i'd think i wouldnt have to worry about the bearings getting stuck in there. How well do those bushings hold up? I've heard good about them but i just want some additional input.

dizasterzrfun69
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey guys i know i said i'd have pics like 2-3 days ago but i had some other things i had to deal with. :rolleyes: heres what i have done so far. I'd like to be alot farther but i havent worked in a LONG time so cash flow is kinda running low. The skid plate on it isnt staying, its just so i quit dragging the frame on the floor.

edog
02-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I like the color combo.

dizasterzrfun69
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I like the color combo.

it's gonna be puuuuurty :lol: :lol: Im going to get LOTS of pics when its done because thats about the only time it'll ever be that clean. Most people cant wait to get projects like this done so they can stare at them. I cant wait to get it done so i can go get it dirty and RIDE it :D :w00t:

edog
02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
it's gonna be puuuuurty :lol: :lol: Im going to get LOTS of pics when its done because thats about the only time it'll ever be that clean. Most people cant wait to get projects like this done so they can stare at them. I cant wait to get it done so i can go get it dirty and RIDE it :D :w00t:
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

ceaserthethird
02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
looking good , is that a dark red ?

dizasterzrfun69
02-26-2007, 09:49 PM
it's called alert red. I think its a little lighter than i wanted but i can deal with it.

dizasterzrfun69
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
well maybe i'll have this done before tf09 :( If it aint one thing it another. I had bought an 89 trx motor i was going to use the left case off of. We popped it apart and realized it has been welded by the sprocket. Now only has it been repaired by the sprocket but the little vent that comes out of the top of it is missing. I took one off of my 85 engine but the hole on the 89 is wore out. any ideas how to fix it?

I decided to rebuild the front forks today with my progressive springs. thats not going good either. I realized that the progressive springs are longer than stock. So i did all kinds of research and couldnt find what i need to do with them other than take the top spring out and add like a 1 inch pvc spacer. I ran 20 minutes to menards and got some ONE INCH pvc pipe for spacers. Got home and realized i didnt have a pvc cutter. I tried to cut it with a hacksaw but this 5 ft piece is going to disappear pretty quick if i keep trying to cut them straight.:lol: So i ran 20 minutes BACK to menards and got a cutter for 1/8 inch up to 1 1/8 inch pipe, i figured oh i have one inch pvc so it'll be big enough.:rolleyes: got home and its too dam small i measured the O.D of the pvc and its 1 1/4 inch :mad:

This project is just taking more and more bad turns and im starting to get frustrated. It makes me now even want to dick with it anymore. I will probablly be listing my NICE 85 200x in the classifieds *Edited**Edited* long so i can afford some more crap for this POS. I also have an fl250 odyssey i might be interested in selling.

3leggeddog
03-12-2007, 09:28 PM
settle down bud!take your time.you got a very nice looking machine there,don't stress it.the pvc does not have to perfectly straight,but close.rome wasn't built in a day young grasshopper!!,LOL.

dizasterzrfun69
03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
settle down bud!take your time.you got a very nice looking machine there,don't stress it.the pvc does not have to perfectly straight,but close.rome wasn't built in a day young grasshopper!!,LOL.

:lol: :lol: yea but i have what 3 months until it HAS to be done. And i heard rumor about a good friday ride at silver lake. I aint ever been there and i thought if i could get it done before that it would be an awesome place to "unveil"(sp?) it. You Run MX so you should know, whats a good shock? I'd LOVE to have an elka, axis or works but i cant find one used. I have put more into this project than i wanted to so i sure as hell am not going to spend $800 on a new shock. It is going to be an all around bike. The only used axis, works, or elka I can find are for trx's. Which will work? will any of them for the trx's work or am i limited to ATC only? IF you know of anyone with one it'd be interested. As of now im planning on rebuilding a stocker just because of $$$ and availability.

edog
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Don't give up know.This is what you will be missing.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/th_100_2019.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/?action=view&current=100_2019.flv)http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/th_2ndVideo.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/?action=view&current=2ndVideo.flv)

dizasterzrfun69
03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
well when a certain member gets my drag bike done i'll have it to ride :D It wont be able to keep up with anyone at tf07 but i'll be able to ride it. :lol:

3leggeddog
03-13-2007, 08:08 AM
if your not real serious about mx,a rebuilt stocker,sprung for you will be more then o.k.any trx/atc shock will work as far as i know.look on ebay,they are parting them trx's out,if i find a good deal,i'll let you know.be ready to spend 3-400 for a good used shock though!for an all around ride,i would just rebuild your,have it sprung for you,and riper her up.keep at man,you'll get her done!

dizasterzrfun69
03-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Well guys its starting to come together. I dont have any pics BUT i do have alot of good news.

FIRST AND FOREMOST! My MOSHMAN seat is supposed to be done within the next week and then its going to get shipped out and be headed my way.

I got my front forks all rebuilt with progressive springs and 3/4 inch spacers. I also put some red seal savers to accent the powdercoated white lower tubes with Ronnies fork caps.

I also got a PROGRESSIVE rear shock spring thats going on it. I tried to get the blue paint off of the pink paint but i let it soak a little too long in the "tuff job remover" :(

I got my cases welded thanks to billy and im going to get them to the machine shop ASAP to clean them up a little bit.

I also have a new 1.00MM 85-86 piston im going to use on a long rod motor with a spacer plate, the SELVY jug that i just won on ebay, and a pro design cool head. I am looking for a good boyesen rad valve, g3 cage, or something similar if anyone has one for sale.

I ALMOST have my ATC speedo all back together and ready to go. I have a 250es drive im going to use unless i can find a 350x or 250r drive. If anyone has one please speak up.

I have my front tire, exhaust paint, and crossbar pad in the mail and it should be here friday. Also friday My Fuelatv Chrome sixpack rack should be here. :w00t:

I guess it might all work out after all :cool: I do need some input though. Should i paint the center cases black or gray? I am leaning towards gray but im not 100% sure. I do have some chrome and polished side covers i think im going to use. Hopefully i'll have some pics within the next couple days/week.

Billy Golightly
03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
So ya got the cases? Are they gonna work for you?

dizasterzrfun69
03-21-2007, 11:57 PM
So ya got the cases? Are they gonna work for you?

I sure hope so. I think if i get that one stator plate mount milled down perfect height with the other mounts then i could mount the plate with 2 bolts and then drill it the 3rd hole and tap it to perfection :w00t: I totally forgot about this machine shop out by my dads house. I've heard that the guy can do about anything you need. I'll try to get out there tomorrow and see if he can mill it down and get me goin. hey billy I'm gonna send you a link to that selvy jug I won on ebay and see what you think.

Kevin

dizasterzrfun69
04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
well here some pics of her so far. :drool: Now if only i can get it all finished up by TF07. yea i know i know it needs a motor in it :lol: My rear shock needs rebuilt too, just waiting on some work so i can afford it.

which swinger should i use? I like the looks of a white swinger but i think the red 85 or the stock white one are the best of quality. I extended the one white one and it looks like dookie. the chrome swinger has a big ugly rust spot on the top of it and needs chromed so its out of the question.

dizasterzrfun69
04-06-2007, 11:21 AM
more pics of swingers

I must ad that it feels like it sits WAY high. Is that just cause my shock needs rebuilt or just because i have no weight on it yet? If i put a longer swinger on it i think it'd help make me feel more stable and maybe it'd lower it a bit

ceaserthethird
04-06-2007, 01:17 PM
The 250R look's Sicks ...

I love the Swinger option's you have their !

Dammit!
04-06-2007, 01:37 PM
A longer swinger will make it sit higher unless you get a lowering link.

Jaredkov
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Well guys its starting to come together. I dont have any pics BUT i do have alot of good news.

FIRST AND FOREMOST! My MOSHMAN seat is supposed to be done within the next week and then its going to get shipped out and be headed my way.

I got my front forks all rebuilt with progressive springs and 3/4 inch spacers. I also put some red seal savers to accent the powdercoated white lower tubes with Ronnies fork caps.

I also got a PROGRESSIVE rear shock spring thats going on it. I tried to get the blue paint off of the pink paint but i let it soak a little too long in the "tuff job remover" :(

I got my cases welded thanks to billy and im going to get them to the machine shop ASAP to clean them up a little bit.

I also have a new 1.00MM 85-86 piston im going to use on a long rod motor with a spacer plate, the SELVY jug that i just won on ebay, and a pro design cool head. I am looking for a good boyesen rad valve, g3 cage, or something similar if anyone has one for sale.

I ALMOST have my ATC speedo all back together and ready to go. I have a 250es drive im going to use unless i can find a 350x or 250r drive. If anyone has one please speak up.

I have my front tire, exhaust paint, and crossbar pad in the mail and it should be here friday. Also friday My Fuelatv Chrome sixpack rack should be here. :w00t:

I guess it might all work out after all :cool: I do need some input though. Should i paint the center cases black or gray? I am leaning towards gray but im not 100% sure. I do have some chrome and polished side covers i think im going to use. Hopefully i'll have some pics within the next couple days/week.

Where can i find some "seal savers" like that?

Jared

dizasterzrfun69
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
A longer swinger will make it sit higher unless you get a lowering link.

hmm, i guess it would. I was just thinking there would be more leverage on it making it sit lower. I need an adjustable link bad but i have other things i need to get first. :rolleyes:

dizasterzrfun69
04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Where can i find some "seal savers" like that?

Jared

rockymountainatv or i think dennis kirk. you'll need the 1 1/2 inch or the 36-43 mm if you plan on using them on an 85-86 R I'm not sure what size other forks are but these should work for about anything sport trike. They are like $20-$25 a pair

200x newby
04-06-2007, 02:33 PM
if you donr use the red swinger i would like to buy it.

dizasterzrfun69
04-06-2007, 02:35 PM
if you donr use the red swinger i would like to buy it.

I havent decided yet. I might keep it as a spare. I won it on ebay awhile back and got it powdercoated to match the frame. I think they used solid steel for the part where they extended it because it's HEAVY.

dizasterzrfun69
04-06-2007, 03:08 PM
well guys i just had to figure out to subtract 5/8 from 2/8 but i did it and figured out the swingers. the gold is stock of course and the rest are extended. the chrome is +2 the White is + 2 5/8 and the red is + 3 3/8

ceaserthethird
06-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I just had a Flash Back ..... I felt the pain once i saw pictures of the motor !