PDA

View Full Version : How do you push start atv?

sagers
01-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I have a 200s that can be a bugger to start - how do I push start it?

SYKO
01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
have it in neutral, with everything turned on, and start pushing it!! FAST! preferbly on hard ground, then when your about out of breath, jump on it put it in gear and give it gas!! It may take a few times,but once you get the hang of it it isnt that bad.

also welcome aboard man!!! I jsut noticed your new around these parts!! lots of usefull info here, mainly use the search box, becouse trust me most questions have been answered a few times around, or you can just ask them any way and become a :postwhore like me and Raffa:crazy:

sagers
01-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info, should I turn the choke on?

SYKO
01-17-2007, 11:07 AM
it can help, and maybe a shot of engine start in the airbox before you start pushing, but if you use engine start dont use choke and hold the throttle open while you spray the engine start in, that way it can make its way into the motor

firehart
01-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Welcome,
Its easier if you have a couple of buds helping you. I used to have to pull start my 200x. I would just pull it behind a car. I'd have it in second gear and then pop the clutch. I have not tried to pull or push start my Rancher or my Recon.

mnnmaz
01-17-2007, 11:21 AM
stap a tiedown on the back of your truck and on your bike and pull it!!!!!!!!!! its way easier and yes... put the choke and sw to on with petcock on! forget the pushing stuff!

topoortorideon4
01-17-2007, 02:19 PM
A good way I learned from trikes4life is to put it in say 3rd gear and just push, If the tranny is very good or compression is high drop it into 4th.

DeePa
01-17-2007, 02:35 PM
have someone push you and have teh trike in 2nd gear then pull the lever to upshift, but hold it all teh way up. You will be in neutral and once you get goign fast enough, drop the lever to teh normal resting point and it will turn the motor over.

wether you hold the shifter depends on the model of the 200s. 84's were 5 down with neutral at the top and 85/86 were 5 up neutral at teh bottom.

Holding that shifter up is like having it in neutral.

Mike

ATC-Eric
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Welcome aboard!

If you have someone to help, its easy. Sit on it, put it in third. If you hold the shift lever down halfway (without changing gears) it acts as neutral. This allows someone to push you without resistance.

Its a lot easier on you and the bike to be able to start it in a higher gear.

So whats wrong with your pullstart? Their not hard to mess with once youve been in them once.

Good luck!

3bogger
01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
occasionally i have to push start mine the easyist way is shift it into 3rd but dont let up on the shift lever and have someone push you then when they get goin at a decent pace let off the lever and give her some gas

volkandrew
01-17-2007, 06:37 PM
clean the whole sparking path of the spark plug, then put a little bit of ether, or methol hydrates in around 2 TBSPS of gas put your plug back on try it once or twice , also right as u kick or pull hit the gas in about half way. It should start.

I got a 225 2 stroke it wont start in the summer very much, but come winter i'm out everytime theres a chance. My 4 stroke 225 startes everytime I put ether, or mehole hydrates in my'n and my dads gas it delivers close to 5-7 extra horses .