PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70...Need Serious Advice

bigreddaddy
01-17-2007, 03:37 AM
Hey guys, I'm sure some of you know from previous posts I recently acquired a 1982 atc70. The motor has no stator, flywheel or pull start.
How can I check to see if this motor is locked up without having these parts? Of course I tried shifting it but it won't go in any gear as it will roll no matter where it is shifted.
I checked the oil and I think there might be tranny fluid mixed with oil in there(not 100% sure but it does have a red tint). Is this a sure sign of someone trying to get the motor to un-freeze?
I traded my parts 110 for it so I don't have any money in it yet. Is there anything I can check to see if this motor has compression or at least move the piston without splitting the cases?
I think I would rather buy a used running oem atc70cc motor rather than shelling out good money on parts for a complete rebuild. And I don't think I want to go the Lifan route yet.

ke125er
01-17-2007, 04:08 AM
if thars still the bolt that holds the flywheel on u can put a wrench on it and trun it im not to sure my 70s motors not stock so your might not have a bolt there

hope i helped

russell56443
01-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Yeah theres always a flywheel nut Im pretty sure!!!!
Pop the cover off and check it out
My Red had good compressin going that way even with the case leak!!!!???

bigreddaddy
01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes there is a bolt where the flywheel and all mount, but it has threads on the end (which the very tip of this bolt looks a little bent) and the rest of the bolt is round where you can't put a wrench on it. So I guess I would have to find a nut that will thread on there and try it that way.
I'm talking to a guy right down the road from me that has a 1985 70 motor that he agreed to sell me for $50. It is complete minus the carb and pull starter. But he is selling two pull starters for it separately. Hopefully I can get one of the pull starters on this deal.
The motor supposedly turns over fine, shifts fine, and has a new stator/points but he says he doesn't know if it will run.

okiedragster
01-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm talking to a guy right down the road from me that has a 1985 70 motor that he agreed to sell me for $50

that would be your best bet , cause it sounds like the lil motor you got now has got a few too many problems and maybe some that you dont even know about yet. get the 50 dollar motor and use the one you got for parts...just my 2 cents...:beer

bigreddaddy
01-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Well I bought the atc70 engine I was looking at. It has a new stator, points. All It needs is a carb, which I have, and a pull starter.
So whenever this damn rain lets up hopefully I can start with the swap.

bigreddaddy
01-18-2007, 11:17 PM
By the way it's a 1985 model engine.

rugabugadouglas
01-20-2007, 12:36 AM
thats the motor i was going to buy off ebay!!!!!!! he has to starters too

bigreddaddy
01-21-2007, 12:28 AM
thats the motor i was going to buy off ebay!!!!!!! he has to starters too

Yeah but he wants a good bit for them.