PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250 ES Big Red cam noise?

tjracer02
01-17-2007, 12:10 AM
I have an 85 Honda Big Red 250 Es and there seems to be excess noise from the cam chain. Any ideas on if just throwing a new tensioner on this machine would help? Or am i going to be stuck replacing the cam chain and basically the top end. If anyone else has seen this issue please let me know. I just picked this up and thinking about restoring it as it is in pretty good shape right now. Thanks

BigReds Forever
01-17-2007, 12:50 AM
They have an auto tensioner and ive never had issues with one, just putting new guides in wont usualy help this unless there MAJORLY grooved. its mostlikely the chain. But you shouldnt have to replace the whole top end, just the chain and maybey sproket. Also should look at the guides, i wouldnt worry about them if there not really grooved.

Tri-ZNate
01-17-2007, 07:51 AM
is it more of a tick tick tick sound? If so you just have to adjust the valves

tjracer02
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, its more of a ticking noise that i hear. I was told it was probably the cam chain but it makes more sense that it is the lifters making noise. Does anyone have any process of adjusting them?

Tri-ZNate
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Take of the valve covers, loosen the nut on top of the valve, use a screw driver and screw the lifter down till you are at a gap of .005" I believe, then tighten the nut and put the cap on. Repeate for the other one. You may have to get the number of the gap from someone else, but .005 sticks out in my head.