PDA

View Full Version : newbee here several questions 250sx and 250es

samplefarm
01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi I have a Honda 250 es and 250 sx and they have both sat out in my yard for several years and now i cant get them to start any ideas?
And does anyone know where i can get some tires for them or is there any way to patch the stock tires?
any help would be appreciated thanks

scooterroo
01-15-2007, 09:42 AM
welcome to the boards. lots of good info on here and nice people all around. to help with your question, did you check to make sure they are getting gas? try taking the carbs off and cleaning them up, put in some fresh gas, new plug, make sure your airfilter is clean, and nothing in the airbox like mouse nests or anything. i have seen that happen on a few bikes that have been sitting. how did they run when you were riding them before you put them up? try cleaning the carb and slap it back on, drop a bit of gas into the cylinder, new plug, and fire it up. see what happens.

scooterroo
01-15-2007, 09:43 AM
tires....you can get tires anywheres. dennis kirk is a good source. also look thru some dirt wheels mags and see whats advertised. or check a local dealer for some.

atvnut
01-15-2007, 09:49 AM
rocky mountain atv has a nice selection of tires.....Welcome!

samplefarm
01-15-2007, 09:53 AM
thanks the bike ran ok before they sat but now when i go to use the kick start it wont move and the electric start just clicks

mark38090
01-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Walmart here has a decent selection of tires...

samplefarm
01-15-2007, 10:05 AM
thanks about the tires guys but i would really like to know how to get it running

Howdy
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
If the kickstarter won't budge and the electric start just clicks, then there is a very good chance your motor is stuck / froze / seized, ect. This can be a costly repair.
Howdy

samplefarm
01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
ok thanks for the help

SYKO
01-15-2007, 11:45 AM
hey man pull the plug and shoot 1/2 can of pb blaster down into the cyl, and let it sit for a day, then go kick it! it should unfreez, if it froze while everything was still on it, most likely its just a light film of rust on the cyl, and wont effect things to much I unfroze a super locked up motor and got it running!! before doing that, in fact my neighbor is still got the machine and it sitll running.

joesnuffy
01-15-2007, 05:44 PM
hey man pull the plug and shoot 1/2 can of pb blaster down into the cyl, and let it sit for a day, then go kick it! it should unfreez, if it froze while everything was still on it, most likely its just a light film of rust on the cyl, and wont effect things to much I unfroze a super locked up motor and got it running!! before doing that, in fact my neighbor is still got the machine and it sitll running.

Ahhh PBlaster. Nectar of the Gods!! Makes WD40 look like spring water. If that won't unstick it,it's scrap metal!!

samplefarm
01-15-2007, 05:55 PM
does marvels magic oil work just as well?

bigreddaddy
01-15-2007, 06:43 PM
After you soak the engine you can try jumping your battery. But go ahead and take the carb off and clean it while your soaking (check/clean air filter too).

samplefarm
01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
where is the carb and what does it look like?

atcfreak85
01-16-2007, 01:34 PM
:welcome: to the boards!! The carb is under the front of the seat you can trace your throttle cable from the handle bars down to the rear side of the motor and press the throttle while doing this to see wich cable moves so you know witch one is the rite one. Or if you look from where you put your feet, then look inside the frame up a little bit thats where the carb will be its metal and it connects to your air box.

atcfreak85
01-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh, and what kind of trike is it and what size? This will help us to describe things better! :rolleyes:

samplefarm
01-16-2007, 01:38 PM
ok thanks for the help

samplefarm
01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
1985 honda 250sx

samplefarm
01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
what about brakes do i need them?

monstertruckr81
01-16-2007, 10:49 PM
u dont need em if it dont run...lol....

i rode my 200x with out brakes for a long time just used the clutch

monstertruckr81
01-16-2007, 10:52 PM
*Edited**Edited* starter wheel could be in the out position which is causing the motor not to kick over take a small flashlight and pull the plug and look in the spark plug hole is there rust in the cyl?

samplefarm
01-17-2007, 07:42 AM
no it doesn't seem to be but then again it is soaking in marvels magic oil. how would i check to see if the starter wheel is in the out position?

Howdy
01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
*Edited**Edited* starter wheel could be in the out position which is causing the motor not to kick over take a small flashlight and pull the plug and look in the spark plug hole is there rust in the cyl?

Please explain your posting and enlighten the rest of us on what you think can be in the out position.
I ask this because there is nothing on the starter wheel to kick out. If the kickstart is locked up then there is NO way anything is in the out position. I'm sure anyone that has done much work on these style motors can back me up here.
Howdy

samplefarm
01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
yes same here i would like to know what monstertruckr81 is talking about

Dirtcrasher
01-17-2007, 06:15 PM
He's guessing.....My SX sat for 8 years, a mouse even moved into the airbox. It still ran after i cleaned the carburetor. There was oil in it correct? The kickstart doesn't grab or won't go down period? I'd pull the cap on the left hand side of the motor, right in the center of the case and put a socket on it and try and turn clockwise, this will be a direct link to the crankshaft.

monstertruckr81
01-17-2007, 06:15 PM
ok first i was just trying to mabe give another angle to try to check out
i personally have never worked on a bike like the one stated i have owned a 200x and a 185s what im talking about is if u have ever had a starter out of a vehicle or a bike when u put power to it theres a gear that starts the bike that kicks out to hit the flywheel and turn the motor over i have had the one in my truck (Shown by my screen name) get stuck with the gear our due to sand and water getting in to the armature and the starter gear would not go back in the housing just figured that if the gear was in that position then it would freeze up the motor due to the starter gear being stuck on the flywheel ........ mabe try taking the starter off and try kicking it over

samplefarm
01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
ok thanks ill try that and let people know the out come

Howdy
01-18-2007, 09:52 AM
ok first i was just trying to mabe give another angle to try to check out
i personally have never worked on a bike like the one stated i have owned a 200x and a 185s what im talking about is if u have ever had a starter out of a vehicle or a bike when u put power to it theres a gear that starts the bike that kicks out to hit the flywheel and turn the motor over i have had the one in my truck (Shown by my screen name) get stuck with the gear our due to sand and water getting in to the armature and the starter gear would not go back in the housing just figured that if the gear was in that position then it would freeze up the motor due to the starter gear being stuck on the flywheel ........ mabe try taking the starter off and try kicking it over

Honda starters are completely different than a truck, car, ect. There is nothing to kick out.

samplefarm, take dirtcrasher's advice and do the direct route. This will tell you for sure if the motor is stuck / froze up. If it is froze, and you get it to turn via soaking the cylinder with oil, PB Blaster, wd40, ect. You should pull the top end and repair the damaged stuff. I say this because if the cylinder has rust in it and you get it running, the rust will eat the piston and rings ( plus there will most likely be rust on the valve ( s ) that will cause other damage ). I have seen this a couple of times before, It's not a pretty fix when it all goes bad.
Howdy

samplefarm
01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
ok thanks i guess ill have to wait a couple of days cause i can only work outside and its snowing now

samplefarm
01-19-2007, 11:11 PM
ok I tried turning it over using the socket but with no luck so i am planning on taking it apart this weekend to clean it up and to try to break the pistons free. Any tips on taking it apart and cleaning?

bigreddaddy
01-19-2007, 11:48 PM
My first 250es I bought back in September had been sitting for at least 4-5 years according to the guy I bought it from. It was in pretty rough shape and when I got it home and mashed the rear brake it locked up HARD. When doing the rear brake/axle job there was NO grease left in any of those parts (bearings, brake cam, etc.).
Anyway, the motor had NO oil in it. I had to buy another carb since the original just couldn't be cleaned up enough.
Put a new air filter on it as the original just crumbled in my hand. Hooked up the new battery and after adding oil and plug and it fired it up.

My point is they CAN be brought back to life.

TravEX
01-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Any tips on taking it apart and cleaning?

Do yourself a big favor and get a Clymer manual or shop manual before you touch it. No offense, but if you have to ask where to find the carb, then you sure shouldn't be tearing it apart. The manual will walk you through any procedure you need to do. Keep asking questions here in the meantime.

Have you soaked the piston down with PB Blaster yet? Take the spark plug out and squirt 1/2 a can in there as explained earlier. That is the first step here.

Good luck and fire away, and WELCOME to 3WW,

Travis

samplefarm
01-20-2007, 10:39 AM
its been soaking in marvels mystery oil for about two weeks now.

rally4x4racer
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
........ The End