PDA

View Full Version : T3 clutch

ccdhowell
01-14-2007, 01:23 AM
I finally took the plunge and took my engine out to replace a leaking crank seal. It wasn't as bad a job as I imagined. Actually looks like the engine was rebuilt a short time ago and the crank seal that was leaking was just pinched on the crankshaft. The bearing were changed and appear brand new. First time I've had the cylinder off and all is well, very clean except for the top of the piston, but that was from all the oil that was getting past the seal.

Anyway, I measured a clutch disk and I think it's too thin and should be replaced. Hard to find friction plates for my 85 T3. Only found them on ebay Versah brand. These any good? Lot's more availability for the 86 T3, anyone know if the clutches are the same or will interchange?

Thanks, Chris

scooterroo
01-14-2007, 01:35 AM
interested in this as well. but i also have a question my self, when replacing the clutch components, like discs, plates and springs, is there a difference between the 84 and 85 models, and if so how do find ut what year bottom end i have...i have the number off it, anyone know how to decipher kawi vin numbers?

ccdhowell
01-14-2007, 01:41 AM
I've done some researching on the web. Barnett's website lists part numbers so you can compare stuff. Looks like the friction discs are fairly common to lots of stuff, KXF Tecate 4 87-88, KX250 87-91, and others. The Tecate uses only 7 discs where most others use 8. I found a kit for a 87 KXF at Dennis Kirk EBC brand and a Barnett kit at JL for the 85 T3, it's kinda high, but looks like maybe the best option.

Opinions wanted. Chris

BigGreenMachine
01-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I pieced a Barrnett kit together by getting the friction plates and discs. Don't forget to replace those old clutch springs too.

scooterroo
01-14-2007, 12:55 PM
so does it matter the year of the motor or can you just mix and match the 84-85 clutch plates and discs, and springs?

BigGreenMachine
01-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Not sure if there was anything in the supplement for the 85 model about clutches.

Tecate250
01-14-2007, 03:19 PM
The 84 system drags when you release the clutch. Im not sure if I have the 84 or 85 rod. Parts went missing when I sold it many years ago.