PDA

View Full Version : Another 82 R main jet question??

russell56443
01-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I got my K&N air filter in today :D
Went to the shop and got a 160 main jet,go to put it all together and the guy gave me the wrong kind of jet and the one in the carb now is a 148 instead of 158 like the manual says it's suspossed to be?
Im new to changing jets ect..so why would somone put one 10? smaller than stock,what gain did they think it was going to give them or did someone just screw up?
Thanks again guys!!!

russell56443
01-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I forgot to mention,the kid that had it had an ungodly amount of oil in the mix,the plug was black(but that probally was the blocked air filter too)?
I was wondering if you put in aftermarket reeds would you lower the main jet,I looked at past posts but didnt see much about that?
I dont want to pull the reed cage to check whats in there because Im afraid I'll mess up the gaskets.
Anyway,just somemore info,Im going to go get the right jet in the morning and then I can run it and do a plug check ect..
Im just wondering why it had a 148 in it?

TimSr
01-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Its not unusual at all to have to jet down. Most factory jetting is on the safe side for a wide rage of conditions, which in most cases means too rich. Both of my Z's are jetted way below factory. The better question is why everyone thinks everything you do to a bike requires richer jetting!

In most cases, fiber reeds will make it run slightly richer than stock reeds. It may or may not be enough to require a jet change. Adding a K&N filter will make it run slightly leaner than a stock CLEAN air filter. It may or may not be enough to require a jet change.

russell56443
01-13-2007, 01:47 AM
Hey thanks Tim,I will go and see what they have tomorrow and maybe get a few to play around with!