PDA

View Full Version : cleaning /painting motor

jagerlager
01-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey guys.

anyone have a trick for cleaning the exterior of the top end of a motor (ytm 200). Those fins make it almost impossible. I may re-paint- any advice on painting the top end would be appreciated also!

Thanks!

rally4x4racer
01-10-2007, 01:40 AM
20 bucks at harbor freight will get you a spot blaster... homedepot has fine grain sand.. get ready for a mess.

are you going to break it down to clean and paint it? if you do it will be alot easier. if you do that you can toss the cyl in some acid - and that opens it up pretty good.

use engine enamel on it and take the first couple coats really light... but even if you get a run they just drip off the fins. dont wait too long in betwen coats - its ENAMEL!!

bondoboy
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't get sand anywhere near that motor, it gets in everywhere. Use super clean and water to clean it. Use sandpaper and red scotch brites to scuff it before painting.

rally4x4racer
01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
compressed air eliminates the "sand in your crack" syndrome - lol

whatever you do just be sure it is a clean, paintable surface before you paint.

your paint will only look as good as the surface it is on.

atcmatt
01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Pull the head a and get it sandblasted. Thats what I did and painted it with engine enamel and it came out tops!

DefEddie
01-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Related question
I plan to do some engine painting eventually also,I hopefully will get to go to some type of fluid cooled engine but right now just have the 4 stroke 150cc air-cooled...
I'm thinking it's not smart for me to be painting the current motor right?Being air-cooled it will lose alot of it's cooling capacity by painting over the aluminum right??
If I had an oil pump I could add an external oil cooler easily,even have a couple tiny cooler's.These are similar to lawn mower's right?It has a crank slinger type oil pump??
Overheating@11k RPM isn't something I want to be sitting on top of really...
So,paint or no paint on air-cooled?Am I worrying over nothing??