PDA

View Full Version : 250r motor probs, Need Help!!

Brockey
01-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Finally took my engine to a buddy today who is good with motors. Few issues. My piston is 7100 , 71 mm but it is wore down too 70.60. Forged piston. Now my cyclinder is tight tolerances to 71mm, too tight, and there is piston stuck to the sleeve wall. Now That needs to be bored I would assume.???? Too what and what to allow for tolerances of an 81 air cooled 250r. Also the porting in the sleeve has a few small dents around the edge of one. This got to be bored for that reason alone right? These portings need to be bored more than the sleeve right?

Next problem the connecting rod. My Buddy is not sure on the amount of play it is allowed to have and thinks the Thrush washers and crank connecting rod bearing needs to be replaced. Picture this as you will the head off connecting rod stuck straight up in the air. I know they can slide side to side a little but should you be able to move it a small bit off of a 90 degree angle from the crank?
Will I have to replace the connecting rod and bearings.

If so how much you think this will cost?

Sorry for all the questions but I am GREEN to these engines and want to get it running. Thanks.

Tecate250
01-09-2007, 10:09 PM
3 months ago I had my tecate 3 cylinder punched out and total cost was 250 cnd. Always make sure you sand down sharp edges befor a new piston is run. I had my tecates done by R.P.M Cycle in Dartmouth a while back. And it did not run for 10 seconds befor it chewed the exhaust port all to crap. It might be cheaper to find another motor. Ive seen a few air cooled rs around here. I was going to buy a 81 for 100 cnd.

Brockey
01-09-2007, 11:13 PM
My buddy did the math and said it is bored 20 over. Now what is my next step anyone?

Liquid-Darkness
01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Here is your connecting rod kit from Dennis Kirk.com.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=14404&store=Main&catId=1&productId=p149656&leafCatId=11007&mmyId=6154

I hear clearences with forged pistons are supose to no less then .003 and no more then .004. I would bore .020 up from where it is now.

Erics350x
01-10-2007, 12:05 AM
if its just aluminum stuck on the sleeve honing should do it. as for the rod it shouldnt move strait up and down at all.

Brockey
01-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Its not moving up and down really its the side to side I am concern about. Ya just aluminum stuck to the wall with small dent around one of the ports. I would take a pic if my camera would focus on it.

Brockey
01-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Just ordered two ITP 8" wheels and a wiseco hot rod connecting rod kit today. $90 for wiseco kit and $60 a rim.