PDA

View Full Version : Im picking up my R in the morning

russell56443
01-07-2007, 11:35 PM
I finally get to bring her home!!
I have to go get an air filter and some grips at the local shop and I was reading up on 2 stroke oil over the weekend,theres so many to choose from?
I run Amsoil Interceptor in my Polaris and was wondering if that would be a good oil for the air cooled R,I didnt see it mentioned very much?(I want to pick some up tomorrow If I have too,and the shops about 45 min each way):(
I read 26:1 was a good mixture to go with too so thats what I was thinking of starting out at.
Anyway,do you guys think this will be ok,should I just go with the 20:1 mix?
I will get some pic's up tomorrow(After I hit the car wash lol)!!!
Were suspossed to get some snow so I hope my seat cover gets here soon so I can really check her out,Geeze I feel like a little kid at Christmas lol:w00t:
Just a pic incase some didnt look at my earlier post?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/russell56443/Picture059.jpg

Old 179
01-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Get a K&N air filter model # RU 1780. It will clamp on to the carb. You will have to take the old boot from air box to carb. off.
I will use Maxima 927 at 32 to 1 in my 81 250r when I'm done with my project. I use this in my 86 250r also. Alex, my source for this, said this would work great.
would not matter if air cooled or water cooled.

SYKO
01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
use any good 2 stroke oil at 32:1 I use castor 927 in my 83R and all my 2 strokes for that matter, is it a 81 0r 82 only 81 had a rear drum break

russell56443
01-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Hey thanks for the replys,it's an 82(forgot to add I needed to get rear pads tomorrow also).
I will try the 32:1 Sykolincoln,Im going to write down these brands and see what they have at the shop,I just want to make sure it's well lubed and safe,I dont want to do a rebuild on it anytime soon lol,I sold my KLT and my Red is still in pieces lol!!!
EDIT(got $500.00 for the KLT):D

Brockey
01-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Glad to see you got the old deer. Looks much better than the 81 I bought.

russell56443
01-09-2007, 03:16 AM
Well shes home,I didnt get the guy on the phone until after 2pm so I didnt get the early start I wanted to lol!
While I was out I picked up the brake pads,grips,Castor 927 and checked on the K&N air filter and of course they didnt have one,couldnt get one until the end of the week(Figures)didnt have a stock one either??
I came home and looked on Ebay and low and behold,theres one brand new for $24.99 and only $4.30 to ship here in 3 day's so it's mine now :D
The air filter was caked with mud,(well the whole trike too)lol,I took it all off and got the carb apart and no trace of water in the bowl at all!!
I drained the tranny oil and it looked fresh too so Im guessing from the look of the plug the filter got all clogged with mud and shut the air supply off and thats why the kid couldnt get it to crank???
I think I scored on this one,it even has the tool kit:w00t:
I cleaned the plug and set the gap and it has great spark so tomorrow Im going to crank her up and see how she sounds(Oh yeah,has great compression too)
Now I just have to wait for the seat cover and filter,I started on the brakes but didnt finish because I guess I have to take the mounting plate off the caliber body to get the two pads and all to fit over the rotor?
Anyway my knees were killing me lol.
Heres a couple of pic's of it as it sits right now,I didnt get to the carwash so It's still a mess but shes home!!!
Oh yeah,I have been trying to figure out the oil mix and it gave me a headache,the Castor bottle has no measurements and I stopped and got 4 gal of gas so how many ounces of oil do I need to put in for 32:1,dyslexia sucks!!!!lol
Thanks guys!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/russell56443/Picture074.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/russell56443/Picture073.jpg

SYKO
01-09-2007, 09:32 AM
32:1 20oz per 5 gallons, I got my measuring cup at advance auto, its a funnel with measures on it that you can turn off and on to let fluids out of it, what I do is fill it to 20 oz then let it go into a 5 gallon gas can, then fill at gas station to exactly 5 gallons in the can, of course I use 93, Ive been doing that for years and works well for me, go ahead and drain all the old gas if theres any before you try to start, and add a small inline fuel filter on the line, so if you disturb any tank sediments it wont go directly into your carb and clog it up, also you will have to richen up the carb jets for that k&n filter you got, turn the air mixture screw in a few turns, and set the clip lower on the needle, and jsut dont run wide open until you get a larger main jet, 2 strokes are very tempermental when it comes to jetting and mods like free flowing air filters, you make that motor run lean and it will be all over for you, just be carefull and you should be having a blast in no time with it!!!

russell56443
01-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey thanks Sykolincoln!!!
I found a conversion calculator online http://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/2stroke.oil.html and figured it out to 15.36 for 4 gal so with your info it makes sense now lol!!!
I was afraid I wouldnt put enough in!
The manual says I have a 158 main jet,is that the only one I need to change and what should I go up too?
All my stuff should be here before the weekend(I hope)I cant wait to take her out!!!
I saw you have some 81 R stuff for sale,what do you have?
I need a case saver,headlight assembly and the red exhaust shield so far,probally will find some more later lol??
Thanks again!!!!

SYKO
01-09-2007, 05:35 PM
the 81 stuff I have is nothing you need, as for the main go up 2 sizes should get you dead on for that, you should stil be able to get them from a honda place, all I have left for parts is a frame. skid. swinger, shock, forks/triples

russell56443
01-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Last night after giving up on the brakes I thought I would crank her up,I really was surprised when after about 10 kicks(dry carb)I got it to start :D
It was late and people were sleeping inside the house so I shut it down and went in to try and figure the brake deal out.
Today a friend stopped by and I was telling him about the brakes so we went out and figured it out finally,man that was such a tight fit,zero extra room lol!!!
I cranked her back up and took a spin all I can say is Oh My F ******* God!!!!
Im definatly going to have to wear a helmet!!!
It is scary fast (even more so with no seat on it)lol,I could hardly keep the front end on the ground,I now can see what all the hypes about lol!!!!!!
Anyway,I hope my seat cover and air filter get in quick so I can really take a ride,I will be posting some pic's later,
Thanks for the help guys!!!

ATCR250R
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Awesome you got it running! Just reminds me of the payoff I am hoping to get when my 1984 R is done... Someday... Good luck with it!

Bryan Raffa
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
ya there fun bikes! wheelie machine!! from the looks of it it's gonna look good when it's degreased..

russell56443
01-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,I just thought of something?
When I put the K&N air filter on do I run it inside the original air box or just bolt it to the carb out in the open?
If it goes inside Im missing the access door:rolleyes:

atcfreak85
01-10-2007, 08:55 PM
If your talking about the cover to the air box just run it with out and at least you'll have protection on the sides of the box from water and mud and so on. It will just let the motor get more air w/o the cover wich more air is better! Then get a cover on egay or some where if you would prefer to have on on there.:D

SYKO
01-10-2007, 08:58 PM
:w00t: nothing better then rippin on your first big 2 poker!!! nothing like it!!!, now you'll be hooked!!!:welcome:

oh I think I have one thing that you dont have, I got the original rear taillight for 81-82 R, its in decent shape the lens is nice, the mount panel is surface rust but can be cleaned and painted, let me know homie!

russell56443
01-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Hey Sykolincoln mine has the tail light so I dont need that(wish you had a head light)lol !
I posted in the Classified section what Im missing,hope the guys on the site have some of it????
I would rather give my $ to my group friends then Ebay :D
Thanks for the help and my local shop had the main jet,Im going to a 160 and my filter was shipped monday so I hope to have it soon!
Thanks for the help everyone and pic's are coming :D
Russ