PDA

View Full Version : 350X motor rebuild expense question...

Dirtcrasher
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
My buddy's friend wants to sell his 86 350X. It's claimed to be in good shape but the motor is ticking. He says "probably just needs the valves adjusted" - I doubt it :rolleyes: Which, when dealing with the 350X most likely means a bad head/cam journal etc etc. If I bought it for 900$ I'm guessing I'd be looking at a decent head for 200$, performance cam and piston 275$, bore job 50$, gaskets 50$ - I'm guessing I could easily dump 800$ into this motor correct??

I know all about the other crap - if it's all beat and sloppy then I could dump a grand into the rest of it. So, you guys have built these motors and not me. I have a line on another 86 in great shape for 2000$, maybe it's a better choice....

I'll be selling the 200X for 900$ so if I bought the nice 350X it would only cost me about another grand or an even swap for the bad motor X.

The 86 350X is the ATC I have always wanted, unless Curtis Sparks will build me a motor, I emailed them today :naughty:

WHATTCHYA THINK???

p26575r16
01-07-2007, 06:39 PM
350x engines are reletively inexpensive to build. I am in the process of doing mine right now. I have bought most of the rebuildable parts off of ebay. My trike runs right now, so I had plenty of time to wait for good deals. I got lucky and scored a 12 to 1 piston and cylinder assembly off of ebay for about $70. It was used but it looks like it only had about 5 minutes of run time on it (no scoring on cylinder or piston at all, or rings). I got a little ambitious and decided to just build a new engine on the bench so I could just swap it out and keep the original for a backup. I bought a new trans\bottom end off of ebay for $150 shipped (also very low time on it, the trike was practically new it came out of). Then I bought a used head off of a trx 350, which needed rebuilt, so since I am a automobile technician I did it for free (ported, new guides, new valves, valve springs, and seals. The head cost me $40 shipped, plus parts (about $150 in head total). I then found a good rocker cover for $40 shipped. I decided to get a flywheel so I could have it lightened, flywheel cost $25 shipped plus $35 for yamahondaman to lighten it. I found a clutch assembly that needs rebuilt for $20 shipped (still need to buy clutches for it). I just won an assembled clutch cover for $11 shipped. Still trying to find a stator and cover. Either way you go, these trikes are very nice and last a long time if you take care of them. The biggest problem I had was frame cracks. My running '86x was cracked in two places and the previous owner did a hack job repairing it, so I bought a good used '86 frame for $1 plus $55 for shipping. I do not think I am going to use the new frame now because I have the title for mine and don't want to give that up, so I have decided to repair mine correctly and use my old engine in the new frame so I have an extra trike for friends to ride.

jsimonh
01-07-2007, 07:21 PM
IF it was me I would buy the fixer upper and build it the way you want. I really like mine, and I love the fact that it was "built up" by me. It makes my 350x mean more to me I guess. Either way it's the trike you always wanted, so get one or the other!:beer

threewheelin-feelin
01-07-2007, 07:25 PM
well i will be in the market to rebuild my 350x here soon...as soon as the 10 bolt rear end rebuild is done killing me lol....but my 350x smokes but runs so im watching ebay....im gonna get me a gasket kit for 35$ 10.25 to 1 20. over piston for about $80 ...a new timeing chain for $65 and im gonna be on the look for a $100 bolt in hi performance cam...and a $50 bore job...and later down the road ill do a pipe k&n filter and jet kit....but i feel i can get my 350x rebuilt for around $350 or so

Dirtcrasher
01-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Yep, I forgot that I'll probably need a timing chain, gears and the guides (Does Honda still have these??) And I may need a rocker arm and shaft setup too.

monstertruckr81
01-07-2007, 08:30 PM
350 is cheap a complete rebuild job in stl mo gonna cost aabout a grand
to have it done