PDA

View Full Version : stupid progressive spring question

dizasterzrfun69
01-06-2007, 01:30 AM
hey guys when you order progressive springs like from denniskirk do they come in sets of 2? I know its a dumb question but i cant find it anywhere. Also wheres the cheapest place for these springs? denniskirk has them for 75.99

Kevin

dizasterzrfun69
01-06-2007, 01:33 AM
also do the "dust seals" in the forks normally need replaced or should i just buy the oil seals and call it good? and also should i go stock with the seals or would parts unlimited be a good choice? Ive never had to rebuild shocks so im lost.

p26575r16
01-06-2007, 02:07 AM
I've got an even dumber question: what is the advantage to running progressive springs? I have not ever heard of them until I joined 3WW.

p26575r16
01-06-2007, 03:07 AM
I've got an even dumber question: what is the advantage to running progressive springs? I have not ever heard of them until I joined 3WW.

Just found a thread on progressive springs. Imagine that, they do what they are called. I think I am going to order some also so my question is now your original one. Are they sold seperatly?

Dammit!
01-06-2007, 03:19 AM
I think these fit 85-86 250R's (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130062828065&rd=1,1)but I'm not 100% positive.

Derrick Adams
01-06-2007, 08:48 AM
The Progressive springs come in sets of 2. Dennis Kirk is one of the cheaper places to get them.

Normally the dust seals can be re-used. If you get aftermarket oil seals, most don't even come with dust seals. If you order the Honda seals though, they all come together.

The thing is though, usually if your current seals are leaking it's because your bushings are shot. My suggestion (after learning this myself) is to go with the Honda seals and new bushings. All these parts are cheap and once they're replaced you'll get another 20 years of leak free use!

jsimonh
01-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Look here, you have to find the part number off of DK and then find it here. They seem cheaper though.

http://www.mawonline.com/progress.htm#Fork%20springs

Kintore
01-06-2007, 11:14 AM
FYI Kevin, run something on top of the dust seals. I thought they were going to be fine, but I still think that was my problem was dirt getting in there and buggering up my seal. Just something to go overtop, boots, covers......

maggiesboy
01-06-2007, 11:16 AM
FYI Kevin, run something on top of the dust seals. I thought they were going to be fine, but I still think that was my problem was dirt getting in there and buggering up my seal. Just something to go overtop, boots, covers......

10-4 on the covers... the neoprene wraps you see in Derrick's pic is just about the best way to go. In my opinion.:beer

mnnmaz
01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
so I cant figure out how to interprate the page.... which set is for the 85 TriZ???? I would like to purchase a pair but.... I have no idea how or which ones to buy! help :crazy:

dizasterzrfun69
01-06-2007, 02:47 PM
The Progressive springs come in sets of 2. Dennis Kirk is one of the cheaper places to get them.

Normally the dust seals can be re-used. If you get aftermarket oil seals, most don't even come with dust seals. If you order the Honda seals though, they all come together.

The thing is though, usually if your current seals are leaking it's because your bushings are shot. My suggestion (after learning this myself) is to go with the Honda seals and new bushings. All these parts are cheap and once they're replaced you'll get another 20 years of leak free use!

hey derrick my seals arent even leaking that i know of. I am rebuilding this whole bike to "like new" though so itd be stupid to not change the seals/bushings and springs in the forks. I just wasnt sure on the seals and what brand i should eet. I am planning on getting bushings from honda which are only like $7 each i think. :w00t: i think i'll get black fork boots for it too.

And dammit, those springs will work in the atc250r. its progressive spring number 111127

Kevin

dizasterzrfun69
01-06-2007, 02:49 PM
so I cant figure out how to interprate the page.... which set is for the 85 TriZ???? I would like to purchase a pair but.... I have no idea how or which ones to buy! help :crazy:

here ya go http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=58326&store=Main&catId=1&productId=p58326&leafCatId=11306&mmyId=11041#altImages

clutchcargo
01-06-2007, 03:08 PM
As far as the fork boots go, look around. I found a set of black ones for 4wd trucks that are identical to the ones on ebay. The ones on ebay are about 20 and I found them for 8 bucks. Check some auto parts stores in the truck section. You'll save some cash.