PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z (confused)

denn
04-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Ok, I have a heaping crap load of tri-z stuff. I have loved theses bikes since I was 14, I am now 26. I have a mint 86 tri-z with the original piston, One 86 that needs to be put back together but is not so mint. A mint 85 red and black one, and a good yellow and black one that is hopped up a bit. The mint ones are mint!!. I also have enough parts and engines to make 3 more if I really felt ambitious. My problem is this, as a tri-z owner I am always trying to find ways to make it handle better and perform like an R. Speed wise I have done it. I have put yz 250 engines in tri-z's and they ran like rockets, killed 250r's. Enough power to break the tires loose in any condition. But they still don't handle as well. You can't hardly get any aftermarket hop up parts. Basically I think I have had it! I am going to sell off a lot of stuff and buy a 250r or tecate. I want to see how different they really are. I don't know which bikes to sell. My favorite color is yellow and black. Only I don't want an 85. I want to keep an 86, but I want to keep it in original form(color, ect) Which is why I wound up with so many bikes in the first place. I can't decide on color. I have oem brand new plastic in every color Y, W, & B. I am looking for opinions on what some one would do in my situation. Would you break down the 86 and make it yellow and black and sell the rest, OR Keep the mint 86 and build another 86 in yellow attire(less the fork boots of course) I hate aftermarket ones. Any info will be appreciated. If anyone has a 250r or tecate they want to trade for a Z, My email is NICNAV@peoplepc.com. I will try to get some pics up.

Thanks Denn

mike from long island
04-17-2003, 09:37 PM
i have an 85 triz that i restored. ( see pic to the left lol ) i am looking for an 86 now. i also have an 86 250r atc. that needs sone tlc. it runs fine and drives fine but in my opinion, it should be taken apart and looked over. not that there are problems but i would. or just ride the 250r and see what happens. here is the biggest problem for both of us. i live in new york and you live where. see my point well write me back thanks mike

plkmonster2
04-17-2003, 09:41 PM
keep the mint 86, they are hard to come by, esp. mint, plus they are better made. i would make a 86 with yellow and black plastic to make it handle like an r, lower the forks, or get an inch or two smaller tire and rim, it really helps!

denn
04-17-2003, 09:52 PM
Mike, I live in brooklyn, Ny. The bikes are at my house in pennsylvania. Where in long Island are you located.

Denn

mike from long island
04-17-2003, 10:03 PM
all the way on the north fork. near the orient ferry to conn. but i have a truck!!! email me at myatvlives@yahoo and ill give you my tele # lets talk thanks mike

mike from long island
04-17-2003, 10:04 PM
all the way on the north fork. near the orient ferry to conn. but i have a truck!!! email me at myatvlives@yahoo and ill give you my tele # lets talk thanks mike also i need some parts

Dynofox
04-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Like said in by plkmonster2, pull the fork tubes up an inch or 2 and defiantly use the 23 inch front tire from the 86. If you are interested in selling any of your Z parts let me know, i'm always looking for things to add to my Z.

denn
04-18-2003, 05:58 AM
Ok, what is the deal with the lowering of the forks on the Tri-z. The 86 has a 23 inch front tire but what does lowering the forks do. I also have a JP racing gas tank that goes where the air box is. Would that help to. I think I read something about shifting weight towards the front. One last question, I've been wanting to put a 250r front end on the Z for some time and see how it works. I have a mint 250r front wheel assy, I just need the forks and the triple clamps. If the bottom triple clamp dosen't mount in the tri-z frame, I can just use the top one and keep the stock
tri-z lower. Which is good so I can still mount my stock headlight. Has anyone tried this or know if this might help.

Thanks Denn

Jeb
04-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Denn, Here's my 3 step formula for happiness:

Step 1: Get nothing a but nice stock 1986 Honda ATC250R. That should ease step 2.

Step 2: Get completely out of the Tri-Z business and sell off all of your Tri-Z stuff except maybe the mint, stock 86 Z.

Step 3: This is the most important step of all - sell the JP Racing aluminum fuel tank to ME! and the factory yellow plastic, and a red airbox cover and a red seat!

;)

TimSr
04-18-2003, 10:04 AM
The 250r front end offers no advantages over the Z frontend. I believe the Z even has more travel.

Dynofox
04-18-2003, 11:05 AM
I saw in an old dirt wheels when Dean Sundal raced tri z's he ran an 85 with a 250R front end. I don't think using a 250R front end on a 86 would make any where near the difference it did on the 85 but you never know.

Xowner
04-18-2003, 11:54 AM
i need some 85 Z parts! pm if trailprotrailpro gonna sell some!

mike from long island
04-18-2003, 08:57 PM
what parts do you need for your 85 triz? i have parts thanks mike