PDA

View Full Version : 200X New Exhaust Pics and Idle Question

Turtle
04-17-2003, 08:24 PM
After ripping the whole motor down to remove the rusted exhaust bolts (tapped em out), putting it back together to only break off the LAST of the cylinder bolts in the head (7 - 10 ft lbs isn't much), tearing it down again to remove the broken bolt and the reassembling, taking to dealer to check timing being 2 teeth of and ripping down and re-assembling one last time, my new exhaust is finally on. I bought the Cobra, and I don't really like it - Its loud, real loud and has no spark arrestor, and I'm not sure if one can be installed. Also, all the shinny paint burnt off in the first 10 seconds! I mean smoked off, turned white and is now a dull black. You can see in the pic below where is is still shiny and where it burnt off.. Anyway, it's better than the rusted out stock that was on there..

I do have two questions I hope someone can help me with. The first one is my idle. This bike, even before the new exhaust, idled real erratic. you can fire it up (won't start with the choke on - or run with the choke on) and it will idle normal, then go real high, then back to normal? Just sitting there! I'm baffled. In installed a 115 jet to replace the 112 jet becuase I lost some top end. I also replaced all the O rings and gaskets when I ripped the motor down. I though that might fix the idle but it is stiil wrong. Anyone have any ideas of what I can try?? I read in my Clymer it might be the CDI?? I'm aboout two clicks away from just buying a new carb..

The other problem is this thing running HOT! The pipe will glow red out of the cylinder. Is this normal??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

plkmonster2
04-17-2003, 09:17 PM
sounds like an air leak. will the engine run at a high rpm right off throttle? still sounds too lean to me. try cleaning out your jets and the rest of the carb. also remember to clean the fuel filter(s) if that doesn't help, go with a 118 jet, or maybe higher. the idle could also be from it being WAY lean.

Turtle
04-17-2003, 09:25 PM
will the engine run at a high rpm right off throttle?

Do you mean after I come of the throttle will it stay idling high? Yes it does that sometimes, but not all the time. It's like the throttle sticks, but it really doesn't. Then in will just go back and forth from low to high. How would i check for an air leak?

plkmonster2
04-17-2003, 09:47 PM
be careful and spray a little gas over the seal on the intake, and the seal on the carb. you will see it get sucked in, and your engine will become normal. if the exhaust is red, it is most likely the engine being too lean.

jeswinehart
04-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Turtle, i'd hafta say your right in thinking that it's running too hot !
i've let my 200x run longer then it should at a ldle + never ever did it come close to turning head pipe red, let alone any of my trikes burn off paint that far back on the head pipe.
i ain't seeing in my clymers book where any
thing about the c.d.i. causing overheating.
i certently ain't rocket expert but plkmonster2 is defintly on the right path to process off elimination.
would also like to add that timing is critical + being the 200x has such a stinking small timing mark + easy to confuse with the white dot next to it (my 84-85ish anyway) on the altinator rotor that it is well worth your time to double check your shops findings.
maybe double check the trouble shooting section at the front of clymers book, the part about overheating.

hope this helps,,, john