PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z rebuild

GoodKarma
12-31-2006, 02:31 AM
I have kind of hidden in the shadows on this site, but I enjoy all that I have learned and read. I just wanted to put together a website to show my Tri-Z project, and share with anyone that might be interested. I have a long ways to go, but I also have accumulated a freakin' pile of parts in the last few months. Things should start coming together soon, at least as far as calling it a "roller". The motor is the next project, and I don't imagine it is going to be a fast rebuild, nor cheap.

There's a few of you that have been working on replacement or upgraded parts for the Tri-Z, and I look forward to doing business with you!:beer

http://home.comcast.net/~mike.markley/Tri-Z.htm

Dammit!
12-31-2006, 02:36 AM
I forgot all about that thing. Nice work so far. Love the color. Gonna be sharp when it's done. Hell you're way ahead of me and I've had mine for over a year! :lol:

MTS
12-31-2006, 02:39 AM
I forgot all about that thing. Nice work so far. Love the color. Gonna be sharp when it's done. Hell you're way ahead of me and I've had mine for over a year! :lol:
Your both much further than me and iv had mine for goin on 3 yrs!!!>.....Looks NICE!!:beer

GoodKarma
12-31-2006, 02:41 AM
Thanks, but it seems like it has gone too slow for me! This whole polishing things is a major undertaking that I didn't expect. Funny thing is, there really isn't that many parts to polish!

I also didn't realize how much I could spend once I started replacing bearings, seals, nuts, bolts, rubber grommets, etc. There aren't too many parts that I haven't found new, so it should be pretty freakin' cool when it is all done!:w00t:

Dammit!
12-31-2006, 02:45 AM
I also didn't realize how much I could spend once I started replacing bearings, seals, nuts, bolts, rubber grommets, etc.

That's the reason mine isn't near done yet. :(

I think mine is officially on hold until I can afford to do it the way I really want to without cutting corners. I want a chrome frame damn it and I WILL HAVE ONE! :lol:

GoodKarma
12-31-2006, 02:57 AM
Hit me up if you are looking for any specific parts. I might have found someone that has hard-to-find OEM stuff.

I am beginning to wonder if I should go with the white plastics, with the frame being darker red than what I had thought it would be. But, I am hoping that any and all chrome or polished parts will help it come alive.

maggiesboy
12-31-2006, 10:30 AM
white plastic would be gorgeous with that frame color! Great job, you are building a "drooler" :D :beer:

notorious mjb
12-31-2006, 10:39 AM
thats gonna be sweet

Mosh
12-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Very nice indeed.Your patience and money is already paying off.I like the color combo with the powdercoat.Since you are going thru the whole engine,I highly recomend Yamhondaman's billet waterpump.If you have not already bought one.

Bryan Raffa
12-31-2006, 12:26 PM
YES Verry nice indeed! Take your time and your gonna have one impressive bike there.One question how thick is the clear in yout frame?

GoodKarma
12-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I can't say for sure just how thick the clear coat is. It is powdercoated clear coat, so I don't know if that helps or not. The red is a candy translucent.

GoodKarma
12-31-2006, 12:38 PM
The cylinder (85 Powervalved YZ250) will be going out for porting soon. Any preferences, or things I should be aware of? I have an '83 250R that I sent to PR Racing in Ohio this last Spring. They really woke that motor up, and I was thinking about going with them again.

Bryan Raffa
12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
well the reason I ask is on my 490 it has a flat yellow powdercoat witch required a clear, and it was rather on the thick side.It cracked like broken glass through out the whole frame,The first signs you will see of this is when you start to tighten things to the frame the clear will crack and flake,If that happens be prepaired for the worst... I just tell everyone that its supposto be that way.ha ha ha next year it will be chromed,subframe removed and a alum one put on, just like the dirt bikes.

firefirefire90
12-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Wow, looks great so far! I can't wait to see the finished product! Watcha gonna do with those rear tires though? Lol..

mnnmaz
12-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Nice rebuld! I just finnished mine need to post some picts soon.... Just for a tip, you will need to take off the foot pegs its alot easier untill the motor is in. :0) I also had clear on my yellow and in the last 3 months i have had no chipping or cracking however, in the dunes (glammis) the rear swing arm and axel have been sandblasted so the shinny look is not so shinny anymore :( oh well its still nice! I also replaced eveything that I could NEW/OEM its alot more money then i thought but its like NEW :) Good luck in the buld and keep the pictures comming! :)

GoodKarma
12-31-2006, 01:58 PM
You bring up a good point, the swingarm. Is there some guards that will help protect it? I bought one that is for a Blaster, is small, and stainless. I haven't gotten to see if it fits yet, but I can make that happen one way or another. Any suggestions on a guard that fits well, and does more protecting than the stock model? And of course, it's got to look cool!

Also, I have seen talk about a frame guard, but don't remember what was used. I found one at a local shop that fits the YZ490, late 80's, and it looked like it would fit. I have also thought about just making one out of stainless at work, but not really put much thought into it yet.

Bryan Raffa
12-31-2006, 03:19 PM
did it look like this?
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=54235&highlight=maire+skid

GoodKarma
12-31-2006, 05:48 PM
What are my choices for the rear brake hub? Is there a replacement that fits up, and that I can find in billet aluminum? I haven't tried yet to clean up the stock one, but I have a new axle coming next week, and might as well have the same bling that my billet sproket hub has.:w00t:

GoodKarma
01-21-2007, 01:24 PM
For anyone interested, I have updated my webpage to show the motor polishing progress, and some better photos of the frame color from my new camera. It might take a long time to open if you are on dial-up!:beer