PDA

View Full Version : first ATC 185 and 200

rally4x4racer
12-31-2006, 12:36 AM
I was wanting a trike bigger than my 110 ------so i broke down and got some beaters to mess with. I had to cough up 400$ cash for the trikes, 235$ for the ticket and about 100$ in fuel to drive to memphis... but I made it home without going to jail

I got a 1981 ATC 185 frame with a 1983 185 engine in it, and a 1981 ATC 200.
I also got extra motors for each and a bunch of misc parts.

I am not very familiar with these trikes and am open for any advice someone has to new a new owner.
Am I just supposed to reach over and hit the decompression lever on the (185)head with my thumb when I am trying to start it? it looks like it has a thing for a cable to go into but it has no cable- anyone want to share an easy set up?
thanks

ill post a couple of pix tomorrow...

gizmo_22
12-31-2006, 01:36 AM
mine has the same decomp lever and i removed the cable because it was broken, its more of a pain to replace then anything , and the 185 isnt hard to start without it.

rally4x4racer
12-31-2006, 01:44 AM
i have been pretty sick.. yakking -coughing -fever etc... maybe im just really wimpy right now - but it seemed hard to pull it over. ill try again and let you know...

maybe i should start working out again??

84honda200s
12-31-2006, 02:01 AM
i start my bored out s without that decompression. it is supposed to have a cable that goes to the recoil. but like said above. its a pain and people just take em out. once you get over the cold 100% you will pull it over like it no problem.

trikes4life
12-31-2006, 12:49 PM
its hard to find the complete decompresssion componets, for over 200.00 u can buy the hole complete recoil new with decompresssion. decompression is a life saver though, i broke the thing that the dogs rested on in the recoil, because my compression was to high. Heres a secret find the top of an 200 e or m, it has the manual decompression. no cable needed

rally4x4racer
12-31-2006, 01:18 PM
its hard to find the complete decompresssion componets, for over 200.00 u can buy the hole complete recoil new with decompresssion. decompression is a life saver though, i broke the thing that the dogs rested on in the recoil, because my compression was to high. Heres a secret find the top of an 200 e or m, it has the manual decompression. no cable needed

so, the motors that do not have a place for the cable on the lever are from an e or an m? or at least the lever is ?

I am still so sick it feels like I should be floating in the toilet but my buddy is coming by and I will have him start it.
If anyone has a cable set up at all on these I would love to see pix or get the part #'s. I am not persistent enough to buy the whole 200$ setup tho.

lastly, whats to hop up? just start throwing 200x parts at them? thanks

rally4x4racer
12-31-2006, 07:51 PM
heres pix of the trikes right after i got them home.

anyone have any good tips for stripping paint from plastic? the 200 fenders have OEM green primer on them!

MTS
12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
You can still use the decomp, manually, just Push the little arm Forward till it sticks, then pull on the rope!....will kick off automaticly once it gets goin.

rally4x4racer
01-01-2007, 08:24 PM
forward toward the forks? both of mine are in the forward position and I have been pulling them back to use them.

can you still get the 25 inch tires for these things?

MTS
01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
forward toward the forks? both of mine are in the forward position and I have been pulling them back to use them.

can you still get the 25 inch tires for these things?

Whoops, my bad, i knew it was one way or the other,,,,,been a while since i had mine, Should be able to get 25 inch knobbies for it still,

rally4x4racer
03-31-2007, 09:20 PM
the blue seat 185s is out by the highway looking for a new home...
engine seems healthy but does not run too well (fuel)

200 will get surgery soon and become the wifes wheels.

now that I am well I can rip the steel cable right out of the housing... ha ha

Rustytinhorn
04-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Rockymountainatv.com sells tires for 185 and 200

I recommend the Cheng Shin Knobby 25x12x9 front and back. Even if you put different ones on the back, run one on the front.
These tires are way-light and are an exact mach for the your machine. I have a 82 Atc200 and these tires are what I run, I think they are the stock tires if I'm not mistaken. the only thing is these are low low low pressure tires, they run at 2psi. Dont run them any higher than 2psi. you wont get the same performance.
They do great in all types of terrain, including sand and snow, and especially dirt and rocks. With these tires on an Atc200 you wil be able to float on the snow where the 4x4 wheelers sink in. I have beat them before more than once. But you have to run at 2psi max in order to achieve this performance. Worried about loosing your bead at that low pressure??? Has never happened to me yet. Anyway, the tires are built for that, it is the recommended pressure. Did I mention that these are the stock tires for this trike i think?

I slaughtered this post, but I think I got my point accross.