PDA

View Full Version : Good Shock?

Billy Bob
12-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I am thinking of adapting a better rear shock onto my old 250R. The stock one just cant handle my weight. I am about 280 so I need a bigger tougher shock. What should I get? Any help is much appreciated.

BOB

Derrick Adams
12-30-2006, 10:37 PM
I believe WORKS makes a replacement shock for your machine. They will custom build it for your weight at no extra charge.

ccdhowell
12-31-2006, 01:19 PM
You can send your shock in to Works and they'll rebuild it and put a new spring on it to support your weight. I recently did this with my Tecate shock. They want to know your weight, riding style and type of swingarm and they take it from there and rebuild your shock to suit the info you provided. My Tecate is so much better after this. I called the tech guy after I sent in my shock just to ask a few questions. I asked what weight rider the spring was for on mine, he said a 160-180 lb rider. I am 280 no wonder it wasn't working well for me. Anyway when I got it back there was a much beefier spring on the shock to handle my weight properly. The funny thing is, they returned all the old cruddy valves and bushings they replaced inside my shock. It was a pile of rusted, dirtly junk, just funny that they returned it to me. They returned the old spring too, just in case I go on a diet I guess. Chris

dreadhed
12-31-2006, 03:44 PM
You can send your shock in to Works and they'll rebuild it and put a new spring on it to support your weight. I recently did this with my Tecate shock. They want to know your weight, riding style and type of swingarm and they take it from there and rebuild your shock to suit the info you provided. My Tecate is so much better after this. I called the tech guy after I sent in my shock just to ask a few questions. I asked what weight rider the spring was for on mine, he said a 160-180 lb rider. I am 280 no wonder it wasn't working well for me. Anyway when I got it back there was a much beefier spring on the shock to handle my weight properly. The funny thing is, they returned all the old cruddy valves and bushings they replaced inside my shock. It was a pile of rusted, dirtly junk, just funny that they returned it to me. They returned the old spring too, just in case I go on a diet I guess. Chris
No a good shop will do that for you, so you know they did not cheap out & skip some parts. When ever I would take a vehicle motor in to get worked on I would ask for the old parts back. I don't usually have a shop do work for me though.

What did you shock rebuild cost? I have been needing to rebuild a shock I have.

ccdhowell
01-01-2007, 12:08 AM
It was about $300, more or less a few dollars, don't remember exactly. Seems like allot at first, but a new works shock is $600 for my Tecate and I have an essentially new shock now so I guess it was a bargan.