PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a winch on their trike?

thefox
12-30-2006, 05:12 PM
I have been thinking about putting a winch on the front of the Big Red (Honda 200e) for a while now. Then today I found one for $30, I would just have to get a switch and wiring. It is a 2000# 12v one so mothing that big but since the Big Red is lnot that big it should do. But would the battery be able to run it? I think it is this model but doesn't have the switch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92860

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/91700-91799/91727.gif

zoomerman
12-30-2006, 05:39 PM
it should unless your battery is partly dead. why wouldn't it the battery's in big reds are the same ones in four wheelers. i have also thought about doing this but never got around to it

thefox
12-30-2006, 05:50 PM
it should unless your battery is partly dead. why wouldn't it the battery's in big reds are the same ones in four wheelers. i have also thought about doing this but never got around to it

But it is the newer, much bigger quads that usually have the winches; I would think they have a bigger battery and better charging system.

tyman
12-30-2006, 06:05 PM
i wouldn't see why it wouldn't work... its not like it will be on all the time.... i'd say it would work... i've seen them before on reds...

zoomerman
12-30-2006, 07:18 PM
i have a winch on my fourtrax 250 2wd and it works great my battery has never died

200xman
12-30-2006, 08:27 PM
It will work but make sure to keep the bike running to help with the current draw. It will probably still take a while to charge the battery back up after you are done winching. I'd also want a winch with a clutch so you can freespool the cable out and not have to waste battery power. A friend of mine mounted a winch to the front rack of a 85 big red years ago and could hang the trike from tree branches with it.

trikes4life
12-30-2006, 08:42 PM
yeah a winch would work nice, keep the bike running while using it. they can kill a battery fast.

Derek
01-20-2007, 01:03 AM
it will work my buddy has that same winch works great!

bigreddaddy
01-20-2007, 02:02 AM
The main thing is how much current the winch will draw under a load, same with the battery. The higher amperage the battery the better. But since the Big Red uses a 12v battery there shouldn't be a problem.

troy
01-20-2007, 10:33 PM
high amp battery shouldn't be a problem for me then..750CCA battery on mine. it's kinda neat how it's rigged up. i used a yellow tool box straped to the back rack, made dividers in it. the battery sits in the middle of the box and the other two sides have tools, tow rope, first aid kit, spark plugs ect ect. i was thinking of getting a winch for my bike where i have a plow on the front of mine, there only 99 CND dollers for a 2500LB winch here at wal mart, already pre wired and ready to go. just hook the wires to the battery and away i go..It's perfect for the amount of use i will use it for.:w00t: