PDA

View Full Version : which 350x bearing carrier to go with?

dividebyzero
04-17-2003, 01:51 PM
As far as i know,lonestar,boss,magnum and rad make a bearing carrier for the 350x.The lonestar one you have to use a 300ex sprocket and bolts for it to work(clearance i was told).I just bought a durablue hd axle and was wondering if i went with the lonestar,would the axle have to be a 300ex too,or would it bolt right up?Can i go with one of the other ones where i don't have to change the sprocket?I just bought new f/r sidewinder sprockets for it,so the less hassles the better.Here's a pic of my 350x before i tore it down to be completely redone.

Joel85350X
04-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey dude, nice X! I recently installed a DuraBlue +4 HD axle in my 350X along with a tapered bearing carrier from Magnum. I got really good deal on it from www.dirt-deals.com. They are something like $259, and since the dual row carrier ($179) which I initially ordered was on backorder for a month, the guys sold me a tapered one instead for $179. The tapered carrier features an external grease zerk for quick lubing, and the bearings are supposed to last 3 times as long as a regular bearing. Also, all of the parts on the carrier including the housing itself are lifetime guaranteed, so if anything ever cracks, send it back for a new one. Here is a pick of my setup. Hope this helps.

Joel85350X
04-17-2003, 03:20 PM
I failed to mention that all of the stock parts work with the Magnum unit that I bought, so you don't need any special sprockets or other parts. Bolts right in.

dividebyzero
04-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks joel.I was looking at the boss one on ebay from inland atv for $150.Was wondering how good they are.Nice trike my friend!What you have red will be black on mine,plastic too.Waiting for the powdercoating to get done. :rolleyes: I know tapered bearing carriers cost more,but what makes them better?

Joel85350X
04-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Think of it this way: a standard bearing is capable of holding your axle as if you were holding a stick with the tips of your first finger and your thumb in both hands. A tapered bearing would be analogous to you holding the same stick except with your whole palm and fingers wrapped around them.

A standard bearing can not handle more than about 600 lbs of side load, like if you slid around a hard corner, or even into a tree. A tapered bearing can handle about 6000 lbs of side load (I'm not kidding) from the same impact. The reason is that the tapered design takes a side load and converts a portion of that load into a vertical load which the carrier would absorb. The hearings ride on a surface that is somewhat perpendicular to a side load, therefore, the load is actually on the carrier instead. The carrier is capable of handling a huge amount of loading, so it ends up being about 10 times stronger than a standard set of bearings.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to get some gears spinning for anyone who is interested.

Keep in mind that having an external grease zerk is like getting a $1000 bill for your birthday, nice and handy.