PDA

View Full Version : Best Chain?

ccdhowell
12-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I searched, but searches can be very time-consuming and frustrating and I didn't see this anywhere so I'll ask it now.

I need to replace the chain on my Tecate, what is the best chain to replace it with? I figured I need an O/X-ring chain, but that's where my figuring ends. There seems to be several choices and I can't differentiate between them. Since I can't buy them all and see for myself, what are you guys running and how do you like it and how well has it held up in dirty/wet/muddy conditions?

Thanks, Chris

TimSr
12-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I run under exteremely harsh conditions, mud, water, hillclimbing, MX and Ive founn no noticeable difference between an X-Ring and O-Ring, and Ive found little distinguishable difference from one brand to another. I get about as much life from a Bikemaster or Parts Unlimited as one of the high dollar big name brands. What you will notice is that the best non-O/X-ring chain will last 1/4 or 1/5 the life of the cheapest O/X-ring chain. Most catalogs such as Dennis Kirk list chains with "Tensile Strength" and "Wear life Index" ratings. Personally, Ill buy the cheapest ringed chain with competitive wear ratings.

250rAL
12-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I've been happy with RK O ring chain. I believe DID is good too; that's often what the stock chain is.

03 ORANGE SHEE
12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
i like did and rk, but run non o-ring since i dont mud my rides... there is a slight hp loss with a o-ring chain because of friction of the rings rubbing the side of the rollers, as long as you clean them in a pan of cleaner they will last a while. i still have the stock chain on my 85 1/2 tri-z!! shows you how much i ride it

NOS_350X
12-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I run a non oring chain on my X because i need every poney out of it i can. On all my other bikes i run a cheap oring. You wont notice a diffrence from a high dollar one to a cheep one. also every time you change your chain change the sprokets also, Old sprokets will strech a new chain to what the old one was at in no time.

ccdhowell
12-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys, looks like I'll just get a cheap oring chain. I have a new front sproket so I guess I'll put a new rear on as well. Chris

nouseforaname90
12-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I bought a fairly expensive X ring chain for my 350X and I love it. For my R and Z, I bought a cheap (like 30 shipped) O-ring chain off of eBay and they hold up very well. I've had them on there for about 6 months and they are still holding strong. Get on eBay and search the size of chain you need.. some will come up. I forget the brand, but they are very inexpensive and are shockingly nice chains for the price.

84honda200s
12-30-2006, 12:08 AM
i run a non o-ring also. the cheapest i can find the one im using now has lasted me 1 year so far and i beat it pretty good. i go threw creeks and mud. no problems yet

nouseforaname90
12-30-2006, 01:04 AM
What are you riding though? If it is a 200S, that is much different than a chain on a 250R, Tecate, or Z. Those 3 bikes can snap a chain like it is a piece of string.

maggiesboy
12-30-2006, 01:07 AM
I run Rocky Mountains Primary Drive brand non-o-ring chain. 8200 pound tensile strength ...37.00 can't beat the strength, or the price :D

I got the "blingy" gold one for my Z..... fo da blang :D

84honda200s
12-30-2006, 01:54 AM
What are you riding though? If it is a 200S, that is much different than a chain on a 250R, Tecate, or Z. Those 3 bikes can snap a chain like it is a piece of string.

im riding on a 200s bored 2mm with 8 tooth sprocket in the front. i even pulled a jeep and it didnt snap. it was under alot of stress.

cr480r
12-30-2006, 02:52 AM
I have an X-ring chain on my Lt250, It has been on three different bikes. It started on my cr480, then was shortend for my tecate, then shortened again for my LT. It may be my imagination, but my sprockets seem to last much longer with this chain than with the D.I.D. 520ERT gold conventional chain I replaced it with. It seems like the good chain helps the cheap sprockets live...

250rAL
12-30-2006, 01:04 PM

I've never had a chain break. The main thing is how fast they stretch. I had a Tsubaki years ago on a 200X and it seems like I had to adjust the tension every other ride with that thing. With the RK's I probably only have to adjust a few times during the whole(long) life of the chain. It's always the sprockets that wear out first. And like someone else said, always replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time.