PDA

View Full Version : Thes SX 10.5 - 1 high compression pistons?

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2003, 12:08 PM
I inquired about them because last I knew they were cheap. 10.5 - 1 compression. I talked to a motor guy and he said " unless you put in another cam with longer duration (keeping the valves open longer) and let more fuel in (jetting) and combusted gas out (exhaust), your gonna have detonation". He showed me a spark plug under a magnifying glass and it had tiny specs of aluminum on the contacts!!! He said if not corrected you'll burn a hole in the piston even if it seems to be running well. Any input??
Are aftermarket cams available for an SX??? I doubt it myself.
Whats the stock comp ratio??

plkmonster2
04-17-2003, 08:00 PM
you dont need a new cam, just run a high octane fule, prolly 92-102

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Ok so running regular gas will still create detonation?

Looking for some motor guys please

plkmonster2
04-17-2003, 09:11 PM
i know A LOT about the top end, and detonation stuff. letting more fuel in is just to pass the higher octane. letting more fuel in kind of floods it a tad, delaying the combustion. when you let more gas in, you need more exhaust flow, which a new cam gives you. most people on this board didn't need a new cam when they went to a 10.5, all you need is higher octane. you need a cam when you run 12 to 1 and you aren't running race fuel. higher octane fuel burns slower, delaying the combustion, so you dont get detonation. when you cam the engine, you sometimes need to rejet, which gives you more problems and time and money spent on the machine. i talked to this guy over im and he got a 10.25 piston, and a new cam, which was also recommended for him, and he was fouling plugs. he got a smaller jet, ran 92 octane fuel, and he was fine.

Dirtcrasher
04-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Any comments Tim sr. ?? Howdy?? TriZ Jim?? Anyone?? help, please.

Thank you

bbechtel16
04-20-2003, 10:25 PM
I got the 10.5 piston with stock cam and I run 87 no problem. I haven't noticed any detonation or "pinging". It sound just like it always did, with more pow'r! But I do want a cam. www.webcamshafts.com has 2 cams availible for the SX.