PDA

View Full Version : How hot should an engine run???

tyman
12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
i was just out riding my 86 200x... i just put a new uni filter on it, new sprockets, and new bearings front and rear... after i was done riding, i couldn't touch the side cases or the fill plug it was so hot, after getting a rag to pull out the oil fill plug, the oil was so thin, it literally ran off the stick... i used castrol black cap (i think its 10w40) and about 2 or 3 oz. of lucas oil treatment, which is super thick... i only rode it for ~30 minutes... so how hot should it be????

Liquid-Darkness
12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't think any engine will be toutchable after 30 mins of riding. I find that 20/50 is a great oil for all riding conditions.

Bryan Raffa
12-28-2006, 01:48 PM
the lucas might have plugged something up that stuff is thick and should only be put in a hot motor. try changing the oil again after its warm. It should not be so hot that you cant touch the case or filler plug.

Somekindofjerk
12-28-2006, 02:35 PM
It should be warm yes, but not hot to the point where you cant touch the sidecases or the plug. Is your oil synthetic?

tyman
12-28-2006, 03:06 PM
nope just regular oil.... and yeah it was really hot... it ran fine though... i was thinking about that new filter.. it draws alot more than the old 125m filter i had stuffed in it... could it be that the mixture is way to lean??? and its getting very hot?

diggerzmound
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Air Cooled engines can run in excess of 300 degrees. Keeping it moving is the best bet, idling can cause overheating.

Beardoh
12-28-2006, 03:47 PM
nope just regular oil.... and yeah it was really hot... it ran fine though... i was thinking about that new filter.. it draws alot more than the old 125m filter i had stuffed in it... could it be that the mixture is way to lean??? and its getting very hot?

Thats what happened to me when I changed from the stock air filter to a UNI on my 185S. I'ed try doing a plug chop test, because if its that hot your probobly too lean.

SYKO
12-28-2006, 07:48 PM
also did you rejet for the UNI filter, a lean condition will overheat your motor as well

tyman
12-28-2006, 09:23 PM
i'm going to do a plug chop tomorrow, and then raise the needle clip.. i guess that makes it richer right???? hopefully that'll solve it, cause my dad refuses to let me buy jets... he says they are "a pain in the @$$" .... but then again, since when do i actually listen to what i'm told???? :) anyone know what kind of jets a stock keihin 200x carb takes??? their are so many different series... and how do you tell what size the one in it is????? thanks

boonis
12-28-2006, 09:41 PM
a lot of people put these on to tell if there runing to hot http://www.cvproducts.com/cv/products/defaultSpecItem.aspx?prodID=161209&brandID=197

SYKO
12-28-2006, 09:55 PM
boonis those work well on a liquid cooled motor but surface temps on air cooled motors can be much more than that, tyman, do you have an airbox lid on? that will richin it back up a bit, raising the needle will help and screwing IN the air/mix screw will help, but to help on top end throuttle you will need a bigger main jet.

deathman53
12-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I have only seen kehien jets and mukuni jets. I used rugular kehien jets in my 200x carb. I think I had a 125.

deathman53
12-28-2006, 09:57 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but lowering the needle clip riches it and raising the needle clip leans it.

SYKO
12-28-2006, 10:05 PM
ooops I read it wrong my bad, yea if you raise the needle clip that leans out and if you lower it richens it

tecat-z
12-28-2006, 10:55 PM
My liquid 85 t3 runs at 155 according to my ESR billet gauge. I know you are not liquid, but, this is just for reference for other liquids out there. I can also tell you that in the summer after a good beatin when its humid, the clutch cover feels a lot hotter than that to me. Remember, as outside temperature rises jetting becomes richer and vise versa. Bump up the main a bit when cold and it may cool it down a bit. Four strokes are much more forgiving than our two strokes in the cold so dive in and show dad you what you've learned.

tyman
12-28-2006, 10:59 PM
cool.. so i'll lower it a notch.... yes the airbox lid is on.... wouldn't taking it off let more air in, leaning out the mixture???? could i just take the jet that is in it, and use a torch tip cleaner to open it up a tiny bit???

tecat-z
12-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Opening them up causes headaches when trying to dial in a machine properly, since you dont know how much you have actually opened it up. And the size # is rendered useless at that point. Jets are fairly cheap and common, so get a few in each direction from what you have. Thats the only right way to do it and keep track of your findings. Good luck.

tyman
12-28-2006, 11:08 PM
ok.... but what kind of jet does a 200x stock carb take?? i see in the dennis kirk magazine, they have about 8 different types..... for all the different carbs....

tecat-z
12-28-2006, 11:44 PM
you have to remove it and take it do your dealer. They should be able to tell you what style you have.