PDA

View Full Version : lookin to get in to trikes

boonis
12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
hi iv ridden quads all my life and want to get in to dragracing and would want to do it with a trike ensted of a quad cause of the weight dif i jest am getting done with a yamaha blaster im not relly a brand guy but dont relly want a honda i was thinking a triz or a telcat but idk my pops has a shop so i could do that kind of stuff but would like your in put

Bryan Raffa
12-28-2006, 01:13 PM
:welcome: stick around here long enough and your gonna be addicted!!
So you want to go fast in a strait line,,well the possibilitys are endless with the right tools and set up! pick you bike and motor and run with it!

SYKO
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
:w00t: sweett!!!! trikes rule!!! way more fun than any quad!!! glad you found us, lots of great info and the guys here can help ya find a good trike or project to ride~!!! watch looking to get??:welcome:

oldsking86
12-28-2006, 01:20 PM
:welcome: Glad to know another quadder has changed over to the old school lol
Defiently grab the bike you want whether ohnda, kawi, or yami and the motor possibilites are endless like said.. you won't be dissapointed either haha
Just imagine grabbing everybodies attention before you even start the bike just because it's a kick as 3 wheeler :TrikesOwn

Mine ain't that fast ( for now hehe) but it's an attention getter :naughty:

T3 LOPES
12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey OLDSKING ,I think you might be alittle stretched out there. HAHA I'm going with a 2 in strech for this summer. But next winter it will be a six incher. CAN'T WAIT . Boonis theres more avalible mods for the Hondas and they ride like Cadilacs. SWEET good luck hunting for 1.

Lomax
12-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Any of the 2-stroke machines are fast. If i was going to build up a drag machine and retain the stock engine I would get an 85-86 250R Honda. Reason is there are ALOT more parts out there readily avalible Vs. the other two. The TRX parts are the same engine wise. If you are going to build something using who knows what engine then it really doesnt make any difference what you start with. Just dont cut up a mint or really nice overall condition machine to do it with, try to find something that already junked out somewhat.

cr480r
12-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I have really liked my Tecate. But if I werent already in love with it, and had it to do over, I would buy a Honda. The hondas have a lot of better features. Its nice to buy new parts that arent faded or rare, brand new swingarms and axles, An aftermarket full of engine parts, and I am sure they vibrate less because of the counter-balancing too(fewer missing bolts). Not to mention a much nicer carrier design.

boonis
12-28-2006, 09:00 PM
i want some thing dif if i got a r that would be the same as everone else and u say that a honda is a lazy boy on wheels all the hondas iv ridden havent like the 250x that thing is a rock if i wanted something comfey id buy a polaris :D :D :D

SYKO
12-28-2006, 10:17 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/Inglesh.gif

ok what?

tecat-z
12-28-2006, 10:25 PM
While there are many good reasons to buy a liquid R, your right, there are more of them out there than any other FAST trike. I don't personally own one but i would like to some day. Initial pricing on a liquid Rs have risin dramatically so even though there are more speed parts readily availiable those parts dont come cheap either. I own two 86zs one is stock and the other is going to be powervalved. But finding the components for this is no easy task either. Tri-zs are very comfortable and roomy. A bit heavy compared to the others though in stock trim. Which leads us to the tecate. Second gens are awesome looking machines for sure but pricey to buy, if you can even find a nice one. They are the rarest of them all and that might create issues down the road. Which leads us to the first gen t3. Relatively cheap to buy, far fewer parts overall than any of the other liquid models and respond extremely well to a few key mods. They come up a bit short on styling but hey, If its quickness your looking for these will satisfy your need. Obviously you need the 83-84 kx ignition, flywheel, and cylinder. Keep cylinder psi between 185-195 timing straight up, and add 38mm carb. These topics have been discussed in great length around here lately so the info is here. Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome aboard.

boonis
12-28-2006, 10:31 PM
i said that i dont want to be like the person next door and wanted something differnt and most of the hondas i rode hade not the best schocks and stuff and that polaris has a reputation of a nice ride

Rm250RF900R
12-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Not to be a jerk or anything, but, you should try adding some periods in your sentences. Makes it easier to read. Anyways, if i were you, I would probably get a nice tecate. Perferable a 86-87. Not a lot of people have them, and there sweet as hell. Real sexy looking trike.

boonis
12-28-2006, 10:51 PM
:( thanks im used to jest fast typeing in fourms sorry.

oldsking86
12-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Polaris?????? ummmm you sure your in the right forum? :lol:

Well I own my 86R by far the best suspension made I think.... Also have a 84 & 85 T3 and I must say they are a bit rough to ride ( due to the vibration) but the 84 we have is my kryptonight... When ever I race it it just seems to keep pulling and it's WAYYYY over due for a rebuild, trust me.. water in the oil is a sign for rebuild lol

You need to way your options, for performance it's going to have to be a 2 stroke unless you go hybrid and go with the newer 4 strokes. For comfort you know our stances and should read up on some articles, the 86R has by far the best suspension made in trikes as stated by 3 wheeling magazine and such back in the day. Powerhouse, you want to look into the tecate's, preferably the 86 for the powervalve motors. Those bikes came out the box ready to race, no doubtt about it..

If you really want to get wild, keep yamaha all together too, a tri-z with this powerplant is what would be freaking insane!!!! ( it's not meant for ebay thread guys, just to show the potential)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DRAG-BANSHEE-CHEETAH-710cc-MOTOR-COMPLETE-ENGINE-165HP_W0QQitemZ330056947543QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4397 7QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

boonis
12-29-2006, 12:02 AM
lol dude i told my dad i was gona get a shee motor and put it in the blaster and he said haha, no.

ATC-Eric
12-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Seriously, I am on a Z kick with mine right now. I have riden R's, including put a lot of time on my brothers 83 air R. The 250r has a smooth power band that pulls all the way through. It is a very well engineered and well built bike. On the other hand, we have the underdog, the Yamaha Tri-Z. The Z was not dominent in the racing days of the 80's. The Tri-z has a light-switch power band that will put fear in you. It was not traditionaly raced because it will wear you out on the track with the weight distribution, and speradic powerband. There is currently 300 kit you can get for it, including an assortment of other aftermarket goodies to help a Z put a whoopin on most anything that pulls up next to you.

If I were to build a drag bike, I would follow in Yamahondaman's footsteps in building up a Z.

cr480r
12-29-2006, 04:11 AM
All of the 2-stroke 250's have strong and weak points. I like to tinker, so the tecate is right up my alley, but if I was more interested in riding rather than buiding, hunting, and modifying, I would save for a honda. The 250R's may not be rare in the 3 wheeler community, but all trikes are rare in the big picture...

boonis
12-29-2006, 11:34 AM
yes rare in the world a know olney 2 people who have a r . And the reason i would like to get a triz or a tecate is i know where i can get parts for them not after markit tho . so i was wondering what the web site would be for the big bore and after markit.

brad