PDA

View Full Version : Lifan Engines

Macs
12-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I am now looking at getting a Lifan 70cc or 90cc for the atc70. I have discovered a serious problem with the stocker and knowif i tear it down i will go all the way and i really dont want to spend that much money considering how much i have spent so far. will the atc 70 exhaust fit on these ( i just purchased a new hooker and want to use it ) Also what are the diffrences? who do i buy from? Where in the world do you hide the battery? Do i buy a hearness or jsu build one? I need all suggestions and ideas. I know for my little girl she would love the electric start. Let me hear the opinions.

Macs
12-25-2006, 06:34 PM
also i have thought about getting like a 125 and governing it down for the lil ones. But i have heard stories of these hitting the front fenders. Is this true???

KASEY
12-25-2006, 07:18 PM
atc 70 in front lifan 125 in back,, same size ,,, no tire issues,, if you get a electric start you can put the battery in the back of the frame inside,,, and have a kicker as a backup,, this is my second lifan,,, i love them

http://i18.tinypic.com/347wjno.jpg

Macs
12-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Kasey, They are really worth the money? Are they forward kick or backward kick. What are the diffrences between brands. I was going for a 90 and figuredi could tone it down for the girls but the 125 is pretty much the same price. Does any frame mods need to be made. I just put a fresh paint job and really dont want to do it again.

Macs
12-25-2006, 07:29 PM
also i was looking and i looks that the electric start will cause it not to fit into an atc70 frame.

KASEY
12-25-2006, 07:35 PM
go to glamisdunes.com there is a 70 fourm,, the lifan bolts in,,,, several guys are running them and like them too,,, i was going to build a hot rod 70 motor,,, when i saw how cheap they were BRAND NEW i stopped on the stocker right away,,, i am glad i did,,, its great with plenty of power to haul me around,,,,

MisterFurious
12-25-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm in the process of putting a Lifan 125 into my ATC70, the 125 is about 1 1/2" longer and hits the front fender. I'm modifying the frame slightly to accomodate it. It kicks rearward, which is my biggest issue. I've thought about swapping flywheels with the 70 and making it a rope pull; got a couple of other ideas as well. I'll have to cut the brake lever mount off the handle bars to accomodate a clutch lever perch; I moved the brake cable over beside the throttle and mounted it on a lever off of a 90. Hopefully I'll have it done in a couple days and I'll post some pics then.

Macs
12-25-2006, 08:36 PM
on glamisdunes.com they have a post about installing a pull rope on a lifan 125cc. It doesnt seem that hard. I do not want anything to be hittingthe front fender and i have heard this many times before. thats why i am am straying away from the 125cc and leading more to the 90cc or 110

MisterFurious
12-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Barry, can you hook me up with a link to that post? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

firefirefire90
12-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Here ya go buddy!

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=70393

okiedragster
12-25-2006, 09:00 PM
now dont quote me on this , i thought i read that you could put the trx 70 side cover and pull on the lifan and it would work with a lil mods i.e. cutting off the rear of the side cover so the chain cover would still work ..if i find that link ill post it here...

KASEY
12-25-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm in the process of putting a Lifan 125 into my ATC70, the 125 is about 1 1/2" longer and hits the front fender.

HMMM THATS FUNNY ,, i just measured both engines setting on my floor and the lifan is only 1/2 inch longer from the front top motor mount to the head stud ,,,,, which is plenty short enough to clear the fender,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Vealmonkey
12-26-2006, 12:15 AM
I have converted a lifan 125 to pull start and posted pictures of glamis dunes. I just need to do a little more work on my cover and hopefully I can get the cover chromed to match the rest of the engine covers. Let me know if you have any questions. It is easiest to use the lifan cover as you will need to mod it very little. I have learned that you can use the atc70 cover, but it will need more work than the trx70 cover, and the trx cover has the plug already in it to use the timing mark. On the atc70 cover, you will have to remove a portion on the inside of the cover to get it to work.

scooterroo
12-26-2006, 09:04 AM
these lifan motors, can they be modded by any chance? say, like a 200cc, is it the same as a 200x motor? and can cams and valves, and such be changed out with performance 200x parts? i know i have seen threads with performance exhausts being used, carbs, but what about the internals of the engine?

MisterFurious
12-26-2006, 12:34 PM
HMMM THATS FUNNY ,, i just measured both engines setting on my floor and the lifan is only 1/2 inch longer from the front top motor mount to the head stud ,,,,, which is plenty short enough to clear the fender,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm guesstimating on the distance, but the 70 was clear of the fender by about 3/4 of an inch, and the Lifan is pushing on it a little. I'll take some measurements today and see whats up. Also, the sprocket is offset enough that I had to remove the chain adjuster and add a link.

MisterFurious
12-26-2006, 12:36 PM
BTW, thanks for the link Fire!

bean24241
12-26-2006, 02:47 PM
will the 200 cc one work on a 200x

hotrod 110
12-26-2006, 04:04 PM
The lifan 120 with the clutch mounted on the main shaft uses a longer cylinder than the stock ATC70 motor. And yes you can mod the motor . Guys on planetminis have run then out to 180+cc's but you have to split the cases , use a stroker crank bore the cases for the longer crank and once they get out that big reliability becomes an issue. A simple swap of a cam and a higher compression piston, a bigger carb 24-26mm and an aftermarket pipe really wakes these motors up.

Macs
12-26-2006, 07:02 PM
How are the Loncin engines copmared the Lifans

hotrod 110
12-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Loncin,Lifan,Zongshen,GPX are all about the same motor. Not that familiar with the Loncin , I think they use that in the Sikk50 bikes, but Lifan and Zongshen both have big valve heads (depending on which model you get ) 27mm/23mm valves in their big valve heads found on the 120's with the clutch mounted on the main shaft(starts in any gear). GPX has smaller valves but they have an all up shift pattern ( if you get a newer style) . The Lifan has a 1 down 3 up pattern and there have been some issues with false neutrals ( shift from 3rd to 2nd and the bike goes to neutral) Zongshen has a good trans and if you get the 125cc with the clutch mounted on the crank it too has the big valve head plus you can use your Honda semi-auto clucth ( swap out the manual for the Honda semi-auto and use the Honda cover). Lifan / Zongshen use the same style stator plate as the Honda . If I was going to do a swap I'd get a Zongshen 125 use the stator , flywheel and side case cove from a TRX70 , clutch for my Honda and bolt in and go. The 125 makes tons of torque get a 22mm carb , great throttle response but you loose some top end.

Macs
12-27-2006, 02:44 PM
his is the one i ended up purchasing. I was really trying to stay in the 90 range so it wouldnt be too much for the kiddos, but i think i will put a little taller gear in it so it dont flip them on there but so easy. What gear front sprocket should i run. What do yall think of this motor. It looks as if it comes with everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200060879989&rd=1

blue27
12-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Good deal on that motor, here is a couple of pics of a Lifan install that Whtcamaro and I just finished up on his, got it running last week, now just some small stuff to clean up. 110 manual 4spd. using a YTZ7s Battery from a TRX450X I think, and a SeeDoo Battery strap. This battery is real small with 130CCAs. With it mounted like this everything is hidden and easy to access. ( Battery mount idea from Treshombre at Glamis.com) BBR CRF50 Big bore pipe with a custom rear mount. With this pipe the rear fenders will need cut at the back like the one used on a A+ suspension frame. I have a White Brothers pipe on my A+ frame it it fits nice without the mount. Good luck and we will try and help as much as possible.

Macs
12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
That is a good idea for the battery mounting but i dont have a welder. But i have some ideas i am going to play with. It sucks that i have done painted it though. oh well. 1 more coatwant hurt.

Jessman
12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I have converted a lifan 125 to pull start and posted pictures of glamis dunes. I just need to do a little more work on my cover and hopefully I can get the cover chromed to match the rest of the engine covers. Let me know if you have any questions. It is easiest to use the lifan cover as you will need to mod it very little. I have learned that you can use the atc70 cover, but it will need more work than the trx70 cover, and the trx cover has the plug already in it to use the timing mark. On the atc70 cover, you will have to remove a portion on the inside of the cover to get it to work.

Hate to bring up an old thread, but saw your post and thought it was worth asking about since I haven't seen anyone else mention that it was easier to use the lifan cover to convert to pull start. Please elaborate. I am about to do my swap and have thought about using the lifan cover to cover to pull start vs messing up my 70 cover.