PDA

View Full Version : AMA Hall of Fame in Ohio - Give 3 wheelers a chance too!

Huffa
12-24-2006, 10:17 AM
A year ago I was out there and viewed the place set up with a motocoss display (only a few months to go yet) that was spread out through the whole building, basically with famous bikes from the 60's up until now. They had tons of vintage memorablilia which was really interesting too.

Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum
13515 Yarmouth Dr.
Pickerington, Ohio 43147
(614) 856-2222
Fax: (614) 856-2221

Soooo I got to thinking, why should 3 wheelers not have the same welcome there too??

Short and simple and to the point, I'm going to investigate this matter and see if in the future they could set a year for "us" !!

Like the cycles and memorabililia there now, they will take your trike on donation till the display is over with and tag it with your name for all to see. Of course your trike would have to be a top contender for the display but it's possible, if you have a really nice one....... and that I'm sure a lot of you would jump at to do.

Here is just a very small portion of there display .............

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/AMAHallofFamebikes.jpg

Better yet, the direct link to it.........

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/exhibits/MX/Index.asp

I see in their past exhibits they never had 3 wheelers!! Could they possibly be so rude not to include 3 wheelers since they really are not a cycle? I hope not !!

Huffa
12-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Will the real Mr. Huffa, please step forward. :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/AMA-JohnBubbaI.jpg

Mosh
12-24-2006, 10:37 AM
It seems the AMA has pretty much confined their outlook to just cycles.My friend was just telling me the other day that AMA is going to slowly start pulling support from the pro quad classes.They say they dont get enough turnout to keep the quads on the circuit.But...... technically, the ATC'S are considered a (cycle).That would be nice to see some of the old mx trikes on display.I dont know if what the AMA is doing with the quads is true or not,but they never pushed the issue to even show much coverage of the atv's and get more turnout and support from the fans and factories.

firefirefire90
12-24-2006, 11:02 AM
If it went like that, it might get into technicalities. The honda 3wheelers are ATC's while the rest are just 3wheelers. Were Kawasaki and Yamaha trikes considered ATV's or were they classed in something different. ATC was a trademarked logo for HONDA and only HONDA.

sandpuppi101
12-24-2006, 11:29 AM
If I remember correctly,on E-Bay -I guess in August or Sept.,there was a '83 or '84 ATC 250R that was at the Museum for a few years on display ,at auction!! Maybe someone can enlighten more on it but the fella had documented papers that said it was at the museum ,and a thank you letter from AMA !! Don't know who rode it,but I do remember the machine...

gravelord
12-24-2006, 12:42 PM
thats correct sandpuppi i remember seeing the exact same one. people bidded like crazy. so indeed there has been a trike on display there, but i believe it was a 1981 (same year as the one that completed baja 500, thats why it was displayed) - well, not the same one, but same year :)

Huffa
12-24-2006, 02:32 PM
It seems the AMA has pretty much confined their outlook to just cycles.My friend was just telling me the other day that AMA is going to slowly start pulling support from the pro quad classes.They say they dont get enough turnout to keep the quads on the circuit.But...... technically, the ATC'S are considered a (cycle).That would be nice to see some of the old mx trikes on display.I dont know if what the AMA is doing with the quads is true or not,but they never pushed the issue to even show much coverage of the atv's and get more turnout and support from the fans and factories.

What snobs!! :mad:

Huffa
12-24-2006, 02:38 PM
If I remember correctly,on E-Bay -I guess in August or Sept.,there was a '83 or '84 ATC 250R that was at the Museum for a few years on display ,at auction!! Maybe someone can enlighten more on it but the fella had documented papers that said it was at the museum ,and a thank you letter from AMA !! Don't know who rode it,but I do remember the machine...

Good info, Thank You! :beer

Well I just wrote to them to see what they say. Will get a return reply on Wednesday supposedly. Maybe if we flood them with emails it might help the situation but should wait till I hear back from them.

" Hi Folks!

Supposedly you had a Honda ATC 250R 3 wheeler in your museum at one time. Could you send me a picture of it and any other info on it you may have acquired on it?

Any other 3 wheelers that you had I would most enjoy seeing also.

I'm real curious if you could have a special exhibit of them since I have connections with 100's of ATC enthusiast that would most enjoy seeing it and donating their ATC and memorabilia for the exhibit.

I am willing to do what ever it takes to make this happen!

Please take my email seriously and get back to me.

Thank You

~Gary "

It would be so interesting to see 50,60 who knows how many different kinds of trikes under one roof.

Wonder if that Kearny Yamaha (I think) that has the huge collection would be interested?

skippy
12-25-2006, 09:22 AM
that 3 wheeler was a GNCC racer's and a good friend from Maryland.. named Andy Lagdzins..

Huffa
01-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Well here is a positive looking email that I got back from them after I asked about an exhibit.......... (the negative was "someday" :rolleyes: :wondering )

" We WILL do an ATV exhibit, someday. Can’t say when or how large. Probably about a dozen to 15 key machines. I own two 1970 ATC90’s myself and consider the ATV thing a major piece of American motorsports.

I will keep your information handy for when the time comes!

Thanks for the interest and support.

Mark "

Maybe if more members write in saying some kind words it might help?

B2V8384
01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Great idea. Yeah, we should all write the AMA and tell them that the red headed step child of the AMA, the ATVA, should get a display in the museum.
We all pay the same dues as the 2 wheel riders.

I just posted another thread about how the ATVA should create a Hall of Fame for pioneer ATC Racers and people who made a difference in the ATC-ATV industry, just like the AMA has.

It has been at least 30 years since people began racing pumped up Honda ATC 90's and 185's in custom frames at local tracks.
Also all of the Baja races started in the early 1980's.
2008 is the 25 year anniversary of the first year that ATC's competed in the infamous Barstow to Vegas race.

TeamGeek6
01-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Teh assholes at AMA bailed out on us dues paying, ATV racing members in the late 1980s because they were in bed with the insurance companies. Discontinued the classes, left us high and dry with investments in racing equipment and no classes to race in. They wont do anything now.

Jason Hall
01-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Is that a Cr60 I see In that 1st picture?

Dirtcrasher
01-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Is that a Cr60 I see In that 1st picture?

Looks like an 84 CR60 doesn't it? I believe that was the year I had....

Man was that bike fun!!

Jason Hall
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Those little bikes are so cool, and man do they run.

the tecate kid
01-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Gary, bet you are planning on donating that 225 drs if all goes well! Count my Tecate in. I wrote them also but have not gotten a reply back. By the way, in the picture, are you the one in the middle? L.M.A.O!!!

scallop
01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
I live about 2 miles from the museum, very interesting place to visit, even my 7 year old loves to go there. would highly recommend anyone in the central ohio area, living or visiting go and take a peek. It is about 15 miles east of columbus right off I-70 s/r 256 exit b (pickerington exit) go about 1/4 mile then left on s/r 204 and about 1/2 to 3/4 mile left on yarmouth, follow to entrance.