PDA

View Full Version : 12 Tooth front sprocket... What to expect???

vegas250rr
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Got a new 12 tooth today, my bike really had no problems pulling the front wheels on hard dirt, but on really really steep dunes I seem to run out of gear in thrid and have to shift down to second.... what kind of outcome can I expect with this gear change.... and yes I know I will have a lower top end speed

oldsking86
12-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Well you should expect a more powerful 1st that'ss for sure.. Since you dropped the front tooth you gear shifting will be quicker making your 3rd gear on steap hills better ebcause you can get up to 3rd quicker but I think you would actually lose more 3 rd gear this way because you wouldn't be able to hold it as long

vegas250rr
12-23-2006, 01:28 AM
Well you should expect a more powerful 1st that'ss for sure.. Since you dropped the front tooth you gear shifting will be quicker making your 3rd gear on steap hills better ebcause you can get up to 3rd quicker but I think you would actually lose more 3 rd gear this way because you wouldn't be able to hold it as long
First off... NICE R... as for third gear... thats what I am looking for, I usually have to shift from thrid to second about mid hill, I want to be able to stay in it all the way up!

oldsking86
12-23-2006, 01:58 AM

Alright then, well if your boggin-out in 3rd up the hills then this new sprocket might be what you need.. Your saying your needing to down shift so I take it that's what the problem is, bogging....

If your over reving which is not what it sounds like then you'd want a 14tooth sprocket up front... that's what I have it's not that bad up the hills because it you spin up the motor and gears just right I can hold 3rd up pretty darn well.

vegas250rr
12-23-2006, 02:10 AM
haha, maybe I didnt make my point about how steep these hills are.... 600' +/- and very near if not more than a 1:1 slope. The biggest and badest Armagosa sand dunes has to offerhttp://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/allyxcurran/rockon.gif

breastman569
12-23-2006, 02:12 AM
have you thought about going bigger in the back rather than smaller in the front. 12 in the front in a really tight bend for that chain and your going to be more likly to throw that chain. i would do a 42 in the rear.

vegas250rr
12-23-2006, 02:15 AM
well... honestly my local shop had the $15 sprocket on the shelf and I thought I would see if it made the difference befor I paid $50 for a rear.
this is a test... I am not set on this or any other sprocket choice yet! but thanks for that bit of info

oldsking86
12-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Haha sounds pretty GNAR!

breastman569 has a good point, it's not always about the front the rear could also help.. takes time to get just the right gearing haha

max
12-23-2006, 10:05 AM
I run a 12. You will pull 3rd just fine. 1st and 2nd are alittle low on the gearing. If you ride trails alot youll find your self shifting alot. I like the 12 on front, but I think im going back to a 13 hear soon. I need to get up these hills faster.

Mabey you should try some engine mods if they arent already done. 310???:drool:

vegas250rr
12-23-2006, 10:25 AM
310, they run hotter dont they.. I live in the mojave desert... and it can reach 130 ambient temperature.... I dont think I need to add all that heat to my untouched motor....(save the weisco piston)

oldsking86
12-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Oh yea save on the heat for sure... it's a nice powerplant but defiently brings heat.. If you want more power look into a streetbike engine conversion then :naughty:

Alright back to the topic lol
Just try it out and let us know the results with the 12er