PDA

View Full Version : tire/wheel ignorance question

oldskool83
12-21-2006, 08:50 PM
ive been looking thru my denniskick catologe and more or less trying to see whats all out there for the 200X yet, still trying to decide what year i want. anyway what struck me odd is tire width vs rim width.

now i am not the sharpest cryan in the box but ill be damned i know the US mesuarement system and know how to add also.

example, 83-85 ATC200X rear rims are 8" x 8" 1st off they say they are 3in and 5.5 out....um that = 8.5" (i think denniskick messed up, not the 1st time) 2nd the tires are 22" tall x11" wide x8" rim.

can anyone explain what the deal is how a 11in wide tire fits on a 8in wide rim? i took notice even the 4wheelers do this, tire width vrs rim with just does not add up.

86-87 ATC200X has 9" x 9" rear rims and using 22" x 10" x 9" tires....by now i am totaly lost since one trike using wider tires on not as wide rims and one uses a wider rim and not so wide tire. so can you mix match dif tire widths?

somone please mark me ATV/ATV wheel/trie smart. i just dont understand a 3" difference and not sure if its 1.5" per side the tire stick out over the rim or not. anyway just asking, i prob sound like a huge dumbA$$but just trying to learn info about somthing i want to buy one day 200X i hope!

200x newby
12-21-2006, 08:58 PM
the 8in rim will squeeze the tire for a better seal you do not need the rim and tire to be the same width its actually easier to set the bead with a wider tire to rim ratio than with a closer tire to rim ratio. ex. i baught 9.5in slicks for my 8in rims getting the bead to set on those was harder than setting it on the mud tires 11in wide. point being is its just easier to set a bead with a wider tire than rim.

team-red-rider
12-21-2006, 08:59 PM
its not the tire width really its more like the top of the tire the place where it mounts on the rim isswhat counts

84honda200s
12-21-2006, 09:04 PM
yup i had 12.50 wide on my 200s i now have 12 wide

Huffa
12-21-2006, 09:29 PM
You can do all sorts of mixing reguarding wheel and tire width AND sidewall height.

It's the same with motorcycles too, the wheel (rims) on cycles are certainly a lot skinnier that the width of the tire also.

The shorter the side wall height the less flex so the better they are for flat traking, ice racing, stuff like that. Since they flex less they don't give as nice a ride.

The plies make a difference too though, so you could have less sidewall but have it flex like a taller one if the plies are less or of a different material being used.

A wider tires generally skims over surfaces, a narrow jobber digs. If you put too large or too aggressive of a tire on for the motor the trike will be overburdened with traction and then you can't spin the tires very well or break them loose to go sideways.

Smaller tire in height gears it down but then you lose ground clearence too so there are a ton of trade offs BUT 1st, you have to get a trike then think about tires :lol: :lol:

I have seen tires with the exact same size printed on them but vary a good deal in height and width so be aware of that also. I have All Traks on one trike and Vipers on the other. They both are 22X11X8's but you would not think that by looking at them. The All Traks are bigger in height and width, quite a bit bigger.

oldskool83
12-21-2006, 09:45 PM
thanks guys, i just was not aware of this at all. i even owned a 4wheeler once but i was to young to think of that. makes sence to me know.:Bounce