PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Questions

truoss
04-16-2003, 05:07 PM
I was driving my 85 Big Red 250 the other day for the first time in a long while and noticed a couple problems.
First problem is that shifting gears is sometimes really difficult, especially from reverse to neutral. When the bike is driving it shifts the way it's supposed to, but when the bike is standing still, it really takes a good jerk to shift. What could this be? What part needs replacing?
Another problem I noticed was that when I shut the engine off, something inside the engine keeps spinning around until there is a slight knock and then it stops. What could that be?
thanks in advance,
truoss

jeswinehart
04-16-2003, 05:29 PM
if i have my idle up a little to much (using the choke lever to adjust warm up idle) it is nearly impossible for me to get my 85 big red out of reverse too. try adusting your idle down + see if that makes any difference.
as far as the engine noise,,, don't know. mine don't do that.

john

broook
04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
The clunk you are getting when you shut her off is a bad starter clutch.
It is located on the back of the alternator rotor.
You will need a flywheel puller to get the rotor off and an impact wrench with a torx head to remove the cluth sprag.
Do it quick or you will ruin your starter armature gear and starter reduction gears.
I have changed two for a couple of guys in the last month.
:( The bad news is they are very expensive and good used ones are pretty hard to come by. :(

BigReds Forever
04-16-2003, 10:33 PM
not saying brook is wrong but your 'spinning' problem sounds like the one way clutch also caled the clutch sprag, its just behind the centrifical clutch weights, all you have to do is remove the right side cover, take the nut off the centrifical clutch (it has left hand threds), then pull the wights out, there is a small (3/8")? ring like piece between the weights and the outer housing, this often goes bad. this is also a spendy piece (about 90$). Another sign that this is getting bad is that the kick start will sometimes slip.

broook
04-17-2003, 08:49 AM
In answer to the above post the impression I had of the centrifical clutch sprag was it would ,like you say, let the kickstart slip. Also it would tend to freewheel when letting off on the gas instead of the engine holding it back with compression.
One of the 250es`s I did last month used to spin for about three seconds after shutting down and bring up with a VERY heavy clunk. After I changed the starter clutch this problem was solved. I did the same thing with one of our own 86`s. The starters and starter gears had to be changed on both trikes. The armature gears were chewed up really badly.
Which ever way you go you will need a case gasket for the appropriate side.
Good luck.

Dirtcrasher
04-17-2003, 09:57 AM
I don't have a clunk when I turn it off - but on SX#1 which shifts great through all the gears like TRUOSS but getting from reverse to nuetral is actually easier to reach down and pull up on my shifter with my hand! If I foot lift it I have to be in position with my boots on or it's a pain. Nuetral to first is less of a problem, it has been this way for four years and I always felt it was probably a reverse cable adjustment.
On SX#2 the kickstart slips and I'm told this is directly related to the one way clutch.

broook
04-17-2003, 11:07 AM
If the kickstarter slips it is usually the one way clutch on the centrifical clutch. [sprag clutch]
If it spins and and brings up with a bang after shutting off it is the one way clutch on the alternator rotor. [starter clutch]

Russell 350X
04-18-2003, 11:06 AM
i have a '82 atc 185s and when i shut it off it will make a spinning sound then a clunk. i never really thought about it till i read this post. it also will freewheel when going down a hill, if the revs arent high enough. when it starts to freewheel, i have to gun it then it will catch itself and not freewheel. where can i get the parts for my problem. my friends 200E does the same thing.

broook
04-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Not sure about the clunk on the 185s as they are a manual starter and I don`t know how they are set up.
The coasting problems are probibly the same as the 250es and relate to the clutch sprag located in the centrifical clutch.The following is a passage from the manual.

Quote, "The one way sprag allows the outer housing to rotate in only one direction, and also allows engine compression to be used to slow down the vehicle when the centrifical clutch weights are not engaged. [when coasting] " unquote.

There is somebody on this list with engine parts for sale. If you have to buy new parts from Honda be sitting down when they tell you how much.

Hope this helps.

Russell 350X
04-19-2003, 11:12 PM
thanks. i should have it up and running soon.

plkmonster2
04-20-2003, 01:50 AM
idle the engine down so it is easier to shift. my 225dr will make a spinning sound when shut off because the engine reaches a compression and then spins backwards, spinning the starter. the clunk sounds like the sprag clutch is sticking awkwardly.