PDA

View Full Version : Crome plated vs Steel sleeve cylinders.

Tecate250
12-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Im under the understanding that the crome plated cylinders are better then the steel sleve cylinders. But the crome cylinder can't be bored out then re chromed?
How would this process work?

BigGreenMachine
12-19-2006, 04:53 PM
The Nikisel, not chrome, can be bored and then the Nikisel liner is reapplied to make it the stock bore again.

Nikisel disipates heat a lot better then steel, thats basicly the advantage.

hadar
12-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok, say I have a used kxt cylinder with that has been blown up or badly scratched. Can you just bore it out and not have it recoated? Or do you have to put in a steel sleeve or a new coated one? Probably a dumb question but I will be facing this real soon.

tecat-z
12-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Both types of cylinder (repair) have their pros and cons and depending on your specific application only you can decide which method is better. Remember though that if your cylinder has already been sleeved than you only option is to have it cut again. If you have a cylinder that needs replating than you have two choices. For the average rider a steel sleeve will be fine since it can take a little less maintenence and still get by( AIR FILTER) with occasional honing til you have excessive clearance then have it cut again. But this method can only be one time. Since the original cylinder was cut way out to accept the sleeve pushed in it. Once you have gone up to 72mm and its worn, the cylinder is junk. It cannot be properly sleeved twice due to the machine work done to install original sleeve. All sleeves require a certain amount of bite for interference fit. By having a cylinder re-plated nothing is permanently altered just a small scuff pass so the nicasil can be reapplied and hold, then be brought back to 70mm with a diamond hone. This process can be performed over and over with the added benefit of always being able to sleeve if need be. (catastrofic failure) of piston or rod. Plated cylinders will run a bit cooler than a sleeved one since aluminum dissipates heat more effectively and theres less core shift so piston to cylinder clearance can be tightened up a bit as well for longer life, less rattle, and maximum seal. This is where the maintenance comes into play. Nicasil has to be treated kindly, where steel is a bit more forgiving. Nicasil will also allow an engine to develop more power due to its ability do shed oil quicker yet have less friction with piston.

jason 32
12-19-2006, 09:47 PM
certain amount of clearance- thats why there heated and pressed in and out
i havent done it but i dont see why your cyl couldnt be done over and over by a machinest-properly any way

hadar- not a dumb question-
i have talked to pros that do it every day- if your alluminum cyl is scratched too deep it will need to be welded to fill the deep cut--- this means more money
then they could coat it
or you could have it sleeved-- if theres a sleeve for it,if not they can make one from a blank
kustom kraft did mine- i have sleeves in my bikes and like them more than coated,and you can bore them out

Tecate250
12-28-2006, 01:03 AM
So if you do have a deep scuff, why can't you just re plate the cylinder allowing the nikisil to seep into the scuff?

Maico
12-28-2006, 01:14 AM
Sleeved cylinders can be re-sleeved over and over. The advantages of a sleeved cylinder is the amount of over-size pistons available. Usually .020, .040, .060, and .080 and boring is between $40-$60. Re-Nikisil is in the $150-$200 range + the cost of machining if the Nikisil is really tore up. Nikisil cylinders genereally produce more HP due to the excellent heat transfer to the cylinder itself.

Tecate250
12-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Id like to find one. even better a kx 250 cylinder with the plated cylinder.

Maico
12-28-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure about what year KX cylinders will intechange with your KXT but I would watch E-Bay and "Google" KX sleeved cylinders and see what comes up.

Tecate250
12-28-2006, 04:13 PM
83 and 84. A friend of mine has a whole bike that is in great running shape. But he wont part with it like me and my tecate. I know Ill find one around here. I did find and own 4 tecates.