PDA

View Full Version : 200x bottom end help

kb200x
12-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Need some help with a 83 200x bottom end.

If you kick the kick starter it does not turn anything? I thought I had just stripped the kick start gears but they look fine. :cry: So It looks like I am going to have to split the case :cry:

How bad is it? I have never split a case apart. With the help of this site and all of you guys I have rebuilt the top ends on my 350x and this 200x So I aint scared to go for it:naughty: So how bad is it inside there??? tips and tricks are very much appreciated

ATCWRENCH
12-19-2006, 02:41 PM
get a manual if you dont have one. have a really clean work area. take your time.

the 83-5 200X bottom end isnt really difficult. one tip that I can give you is when you take it apart lay everything down in order that it came out and number if need be ie. count up coming apart, count down going back together.

once the outer cases have been removed and you have just the main case halves, crank, and trans take all the bolts out of the cases and lay the case over on its side so you are looking at the end of the crank, doesnt matter which side. if you can stay away from it, try not to use a pry bar of any kind, a rubber mallet should be fine. if you have to use a pry bar, take it easy, remember the cases are made out of aluminum.

get the cases to loosen up so you can remove one half slowly. inspect the case half first for any kind of damage, metal flakes, shavings, bearing race damage. if it looks ok then take a look at the crank ends, transmission ends and look for damage as well, see if there is anything wrapped up in the gears or shift drum. if it still looks good re-install the case half and flip the case over and do the same thing as the first half. hopefully this will help you find out what is wrong and you dont have to completely take the lower end apart for further inspection. if you do then now would be a good time to rebuild the crank with new bearings and rod kit as well as new bearings through out the cases. service honda still sells the case bearings and if you look at the prices carefully you can walk away with all the case bearings for about $80 bucks which is a lot easier to swallow than the $284 dollar price tag from your local honda shop(that was the price from my honda shop).

jason 32
12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
there not hard at all-you can use whittier fun center ,or bike bandit to see the pic's of it apart-
keep the tranny gears on the shafts,and shift forks on the shaft ,-if you can put a new return kick start return spring in ,or mabe shorten yours
the clutch and oil pump bolts were the hard part- they have a special nut---
the one i got from dennis kirk didnt fit either-
you might be able to get new fiber clutch plates off ebay in the stores- i got a set for 25!!,and there 40 from other people

kb200x
12-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Does the fly wheel have to be removed? I am thinking it has to be a shaft or rod that connects to the kicker gears?

I have a manual I wouldnt even think about trying it with out one. ;)

ATCWRENCH
12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Does the fly wheel have to be removed? I am thinking it has to be a shaft or rod that connects to the kicker gears?

to get that side of the inner case to come away from the crank and trans, yea.

if you truly think it is the kicker side that is having issues then the fly does not need to come off.

when I blew the motor up in my 200X I thought part of the trans come loose and got stuck in the gears. come to find out a really small pebble some how got into the crankcase, then sucked into the oil pump which stopped my oil supply, intern siezing the engine. once the motor cooled off it would rotate but i did severe damage to the piston, sleeve, cases, clutch, trans, pretty much everything below the head was trashed. the crank was the only thing usable out of the bottom end and I still had that rebuilt.

RoadTrippin
12-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Buy that wierd castle nut tool for the clutch and oil strainer. You'll end up stripping stuff otherwise. Maybe you can make it out of an old socket.

kb200x
12-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I am hoping it is the kicker side because when I kicked it and it started the kicker was still in the downward position and thats when i heard the sound of something in the case clanging around in there. Thats why I thought it was kicker gears because I had just kicked it. My first thought was timing chain then I thought it was kicker gears. So honestly there is no telling I haven't been right yet. I guess I will find out. ;)