PDA

View Full Version : Put the raptor shock on 84 today (It's Great)

hadar
12-17-2006, 09:38 PM
My 84 tecate is really coming along well. I got an 01 raptor shock a while back and put on today. I had to make a bushing for the top mount. (had to turn it down with a drill and a file. lol) It works great. I would like to thank Tecatecrazy and Big green for the insight. Also got my 2.5'' Wheel spacers on For that +5 look and feel. The trike is really running great now. With the kx cylinder on the way, I'm thinking of building a secret weapon out of my parts engine rather then tear down a perfectly fine running one on the 84. Sorry no pics right now. (I broke my camera)

BigGreenMachine
12-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Sweet! What kind of swingarm do you have?

I agree about the motor, I hate downtime! I'd sure like to try a KX cylinder!

hadar
12-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure what kind it is? It's not an extended stock one. It's steel, I had some pics but can't find them now. I would like to make or have made a +4 stock arm extention. I have a few extra arms to play with. I think a +4 would put me right where I want to be.

Tecate250
12-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Im using a 87 trx 250r shock right now. Still waiting for money to get tecate back up and running. I had to fab up a new lower shock mount. The r shock is too long.
Paid 50$cnd a while back for it.

T3 LOPES
12-18-2006, 06:47 PM
300 ex shock is sweet. Same length and pretty much bolts right in.

scooterroo
12-18-2006, 07:05 PM
really? never knew that. so looks like theres a few options for rear shocks, not just the raptor one. is that what you use lopes? getting ready to go gun ho with the t3 build as soon as the blaster is back up and running. and this will be one of the first things i do to it. which would be better? raptor or 300ex?

hadar
12-18-2006, 08:08 PM
What did you have to do for the ex shock? Anything at all?

BigGreenMachine
12-18-2006, 08:11 PM
I would imagine the Raptor shock is better with more travel and adjustments.

BigGreenMachine
12-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Oh and I should mention that you can change out the bearings ("spherical bearings") from the Tecate shock to the Raptor shock so that the Tecate's bolt fits the Raptor shock without using a sleeve or drilling the UNI trac linkage for the bigger Raptor bolt.

EDIT** Should also mention the line coming from the remote reservoir on the Raptor shock is too short but the line from the Tecate will bolt on and allow you to mount the reservoir in the stock location. I plan to replace mine with a Tecate length stainless reservoir line.

hadar
12-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I did use the tecate bushings for the top mount but the inner bearing from t3 shock did not fit in the raptor.(too small) I think I used raptor bushings in the lower mount.(fit right in)

I mounted the resy right on the frame tube where the master cylinder is w/ hose clamps. I don't think that will work out for someone that's running an airbox. So the hose length is a factor.

T3 LOPES
12-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Scooterroo, I do use the 300 ex shock and it works great. On the 84 pivot arm you will need a 250r coil, otherwise it will be to stiff . With the 85 set up the ex coil is perfect. The shock is the same length as the T3.You still use the OEM bottom shock bolt from the T3. Now on the top of the shock you will need the OEM bottom 300 ex shock bolt so it will clear the air box. The pivot arm will need to be drilled out a bit. The set up with the raptor shock maybe better for big people , but I weight 205 . I believe you have to run the raptor shock up side down , witch there not designed to run up side down. I felt one at TF 06 and it was pretty stiff . There could be something else that might work, but I couldn' find it. And we all no the T3 shocks are unusable.

T3 LOPES
12-19-2006, 12:39 AM
BGM I didn't read your post before I put up my post . The way you describe it sounds like that would be a great set up as well. With the ex shock and the jumps we built, we are getting 3 to 4 feet off the ground and about 20 to 30 feet of air and the shock has never bottom out . So there are a few options.