PDA

View Full Version : T3 front caliper need rebuild kit

ccdhowell
12-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Anyone know where to get one of these kits? I finally have a front master cylinder that works(off an 04 KX250) and I took the caliper off and cleaned it and put it back together.

I bled the brakes and now I have minimal front brakes. Not really enough to do any good, but you can see the caliper move a little and feel a small amount of resistance on the rotor.

Guess I should rebuild the caliper next, although I don't see what the problem could be, it isn't leaking and I cleaned it out pretty good. Would I need to hone the caliper cylinder? I didn't, just cleaned it with brake cleaner and put it back toghether.

Thanks, Chris

scooterroo
12-17-2006, 10:12 PM
im in need of doing this as well. any suggestions?

BigGreenMachine
12-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Clean it up real good and if you can find some new o-rings for it do so. I haven't rebuilt my front and it works damn good.

I think the caliper from a Raptor will work. You will need only the caliper, not the mounting bracket from the Raptor. I think its the rear assembly that fits.

ccdhowell
12-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks BGM, I'll start looking on ebay for a rear Raptor caliper. Meanwhile I'm taking vacation the week after Christmas and I hope to replace the crank seal and maybe bearings. I bought the kit from dads. Should I put rings in it too? What do I look for to tell if I need new rings?

I think I'll also take the caliper apart once again and try and polish the bore up some, the piston is really difficult to move in the cylinder.

I am happy to have a late model master cylinder for it. It looks good and even works too. I've gone through 3 ebay master cylinders from older bikes before I got this one off a 04 KX250. I was wondering, any chance the master cylinder just isn't pumping enough fluid to make the piston move far enough?

BigGreenMachine
12-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I'd put money on the system needing to be bled.

BigGreenMachine
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Rings, well if you get into the motor and find that the nikisel plating is in good condition I'd buy some new OEM rings and put in there to save the plating a while longer. If its a steel sleeve then go ahead and give it a hone and put some new rings in. Its just good insurance for your motor.

If you replace the seals you'd be just as well to replace the crank bearings too.

Little tip for replacing the crank bearings and not having to mix up your tranny.

When you split the cases go ahead and lay the motor on its size and take one half of the case off. That way the tranny stays in place and you can take the case to a bench to get the bearing out. Then when everything in that side is replaced put the cases back together, flip the motor over and do the same thing again.

When you put the second half back on you need to let the bearing rest on the crank and put the case half on over it and press/hammer it down over the bearing (rubber mallet works good) otherwise there will be side to side play in the crank.