PDA

View Full Version : 200x Front Sprocket "slop"

tyman
12-17-2006, 03:19 PM
i was looking at my front sprocket and saw it was packed with mud... so i pulled off the chain guard and cleaned it and the sprocket has alot of side to side slop to it.. it doesn't turn any on the shaft, it just moves back and forth..... is this normal??? it is a stock sprocket and the teeth are starting to get thin... so would a new sprocket solve the problem???

tyman

on a side note..... my rear caliper moves up and down.... and it clicks while i ride in first and second... then you can't hear it... but how do you fix this???? it is tight to the bracket.. but the bracket is loose on the ?carrier?

super90
12-17-2006, 03:35 PM
The front sprocket can have some play side to side, just not forward and backwards. You can probably tighten the caliper just by tightining the 2 bolts holding on the caliper?

chris200x
12-17-2006, 03:59 PM
It may be your output shaft is stripped. I went through that before with my 200x. what a nightmare that was. But I was also told a little play is normal.

digity x
12-17-2006, 05:40 PM
a little play they have like super said not back an fourth tighten up the bolts see if it helps. if your teeth are thin replace it soon.

84honda200s
12-17-2006, 05:43 PM
my s does it too. i have had no probl yet

tyman
12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
thanks for the help... i'm getting a new sprockets for christmas so we'll see how this works.. i just hope the output shaft isn't stripped... if it is.. well you'll see it on ebay, title and all....

Dirtcrasher
12-17-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm baffled as to why Honda chose to design the front sprocket mounting system the way they did. Many machines I've owned had side to side play and of course some front to black play also. I had Zuki's with the same problem.

Not sure why the countershaft isn't threaded and the shaft machined with a shoulder in which to tighten the sprocket against. I forget who else uses that type of mounting but it might be Yamaha and others. Honda's 4strokes use the shaft and sprocket splines alone to hold it on there. 250R gets the solid mounting.

On some Hondas, that mounting allows the front sprocket to float a bit. Maybe there is less drag???? Why did 4 strokes get the sloppy mounts (ATC and XR/XL's) and the 250R got the spline and shoulder mounted type?? 4 strokes have lots of torque, 2 strokes have wheel spin - why would the fastenening change??

Anyhow, I've had some fairly loose sprockets. The shaft is hard and the sprocket is softer. Your new sprocket may tighten it up alot, but don't worry too much if it's still sloppy. When it starts getting deep notches, then you can worry.