PDA

View Full Version : paddle tires

p26575r16
12-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Just wandering who makes the best inexpensive sand paddle tires? I am looking at gekko's because they are cheap, but I do not want them if they are no good. They will be going on a 350x. Also which size should I run? thank you

ChrisD
12-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I have a nearly new set of Skat Track 20x10x10 10 paddle Haulers on douglas rims for $150 plus shipping to you if you are interested. The inside of the rims is dulled out from the sand, but that would happen to you within a couple rides anyway. I only used them in Michigan on 2 -1 week trips there. Other than that, they have been in my stack of tires. PM me if interested.

p26575r16
12-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks ChrisD, but right now I am just looking for some tires for my 9" wheels. Your price is very good, but I cannot afford that right now (plus shipping would be a lot from NY).

maggiesboy
12-13-2006, 11:55 PM
I have a nearly new set of Skat Track 20x10x10 10 paddle Haulers on douglas rims for $150 plus shipping to you if you are interested. The inside of the rims is dulled out from the sand, but that would happen to you within a couple rides anyway. I only used them in Michigan on 2 -1 week trips there. Other than that, they have been in my stack of tires. PM me if interested.

A BUCK FIDDY HUH? darn good price...:D

breastman569
12-14-2006, 12:56 AM
are you looking to go stight paddle or V paddle?

p26575r16
12-14-2006, 01:47 AM
I am not sure which paddles would be better. I ride in the sand occassionally, but I have never used paddle tires. I understand that v paddles allow you to turn better and straight paddles give you better traction. I do not plan to really drag race in the sand, so straight paddles are not a neccessity.

firefirefire90
12-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Get some 6 paddle 20" haulers. They are great because they give you a lot of grip in the gears and do not create so much drag on the top end like 8-10 paddle haulers. They are also great because they are lightweight and you can slide with them quite easily. 8 paddle haulers IMO are to much for a 350x.

NOS_350X
12-14-2006, 02:17 AM
If moeny is an issue get the gekos, the do suck, but they will give you an idea of what the paddles are like and you can decide if you wana really dump some $ into some good ones like Haulers, Sand skates or Sand stars. For regular riding i love Sand skates and Gekos. Easy to turn and Give you the extra grip. But if i'm drag racing Haulers all the way (but thats all there good for)

p26575r16
12-14-2006, 03:27 AM
Money is an issue, but I would rather only spend it once. My 350x is going to have quite a bit of extra power when I am done with the engine work, so I want some paddles that are going to hook up, but I also want to be able to turn. I will mainly ride the trike on dirt, and take it to sand mountain every once in a while (and hopefully to rampage '07). The last time I had it in the sand was at kilpecker dunes in Wyoming. I was running 21X11X9 Kenda vipers on the rear. The trike actually suprised me that it went so well (for dirt tires). The main problem I had was turning, it took a mile just to turn it without sinking it. After that trip I realized that the trike was way to underpowered for paddles anyway. So, after a lot of $ and time I think it will have plenty of power on tap, I just need a little help deciding on which type and brand of tires to use (without spending a fortune). I have a set of 9" wheels so all I need are the tires.

maggiesboy
12-14-2006, 10:41 AM
If moeny is an issue get the gekos, the do suck, but they will give you an idea of what the paddles are like and you can decide if you wana really dump some $ into some good ones like Haulers, Sand skates or Sand stars. For regular riding i love Sand skates and Gekos. Easy to turn and Give you the extra grip. But if i'm drag racing Haulers all the way (but thats all there good for)

Hauler are very good for Tree Shots/ Idiot Holes along the tree lines.

a econo paddle is going to be a heavy tire, because they are molded. A buffed tire (anything from SKAT) will weigh alot less.

p26575r16
12-14-2006, 10:20 PM
I have been looking at some gbc paddles. Anyone running them?

SYKO
12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
I have some GBC's but havnt had a chance to run them yet and wont know till the last weekend of dec

El'Capitan
12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Money is an issue, but I would rather only spend it once. My 350x is going to have quite a bit of extra power when I am done with the engine work, so I want some paddles that are going to hook up, but I also want to be able to turn. I will mainly ride the trike on dirt, and take it to sand mountain every once in a while (and hopefully to rampage '07). The last time I had it in the sand was at kilpecker dunes in Wyoming. I was running 21X11X9 Kenda vipers on the rear. The trike actually suprised me that it went so well (for dirt tires). The main problem I had was turning, it took a mile just to turn it without sinking it. After that trip I realized that the trike was way to underpowered for paddles anyway. So, after a lot of $ and time I think it will have plenty of power on tap, I just need a little help deciding on which type and brand of tires to use (without spending a fortune). I have a set of 9" wheels so all I need are the tires.

woah...there must be somthing wrong with your 350x if it cant turn paddles. On my X i run 22x11x9 cheng shin paddles...they are straight paddles and i have nooo problem spinning them. The 250SX can pull paddles just fine so there should be no problem w/ your x.

p26575r16
12-15-2006, 12:42 AM
In response to El'capitan's post, the x can turn paddles, I just want it to really spin them.

firefirefire90
12-15-2006, 01:03 AM
then get 6 paddle 20" haulers. I am telling you, those paddles will work great with your trike.

NOS_350X
12-15-2006, 02:14 AM
For what your looking for i would say the GBC Sand Shark, ITP Sand Star, and STU Sand SkateII. Your not running a full blown high hp sand dragger so theres no point in spending the $ on the haulers. Those vblades will give you plunty of traction to keep you happy.

breastman569
12-15-2006, 11:12 AM
if you want a good V paddle tire i would say go with the edge by skat trak they are fairly resonable from Rockyymountainatv.com and they will handle any engine mods your going to throw that them. i love them they hook up great for the hill climbs and great for duning.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/breastman569/Three%20Wheelers/PICT0594.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/breastman569/ridding%20pics/PICT0677.jpg

p26575r16
12-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Are zipper tires any good in the sand? Thanks for all of the input so far.

350xBomb
12-18-2006, 05:39 AM
the edge is a great tire, that what I run on my r, but by no means affordable. I had gbc sand devils on my 350 and they did great. the haulers are too square for it...too much tire on the ground (so I guess the 6 paddles might be ok but still too expensive) the devils are more ballooned so they float better and turn nicely. with the 350 I liked the straight paddles better than the Vs cause the front end comes up easier and i think they have a bit more control in a wheelie....but thats just me.

STAY AWAY FROM THE GECKOS youd just be wasting money, they spin and bury.

maggiesboy
12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
a set of haulers from Rocky Mountain on wheels is only 199.00.... That is a great price. only 50.00 more than gecko's. Sandstars on wheels at a dealership run 250.00. I'd say the haulers are the better deal.

Tecate250
12-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Hmm
I was thinking of getting geckos for the snow. Due to the cost. But I think there are cheaper tires out there that I might look into. Ill only run these tires 1 week a year so money is an option.

lol

maggiesboy
12-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Hmm
I was thinking of getting geckos for the snow. Due to the cost. But I think there are cheaper tires out there that I might look into. Ill only run these tires 1 week a year so money is an option.

lol

A great snow tire is the AMS zipper. They are inexpensive through RMATV or your favorite dealer

p26575r16
12-18-2006, 10:17 PM
How are the zippers in sand?