PDA

View Full Version : Tecate's?

Rennat_2006
12-12-2006, 12:51 AM
So how much harder and more expensive are finding parts for these? Compared to like a Tri-z or a 250r?

I came across one on Craigslist for $600 about a week ago and havent been able to find it since and got to thinking about it.

I dont want to end up with another bike that is terrible to find/ afford parts for like my 85 KTM 125.

Thanks alot guys

hadar
12-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Finding 86-87 tecate parts can be quite depressing. 84-85's are getting harder to come by each day. From what I've seen the Tri-z seems like it might be one of the hardest to find parts for these days. If you want parts I would say Honda is the way to go.

But then again $600 for a tecate don't sound like too bad a deal.

firefirefire90
12-12-2006, 01:20 AM
motor parts are really easy to come by for the 86-87 tecates. Thats about all I know. I would pick it up, 600 is a steal for any tecate that runs.

scooterroo
12-12-2006, 09:13 AM
finding parts is a bit more challenging then say a honda. kawasaki has discontinued a ton of parts for all of these machines. 84-85 t3, 86-87 t3, and even the 87-88 t4. i have been working on my 85 t3 since sept of 05, but i also started out with a bare frame and have bought peice by peice, and i am almost completely done. gotta get a few small things, the chain guard for the front sprocket, chain, rebuild the top end of the motor i have, new clutch, cables, etc...
if you do your research, look at various websites, like bike bandit, sudco, ebay, your local kawi dealer, and even the classifieds on here, i am sure you can find the parts you need. i have bought quite a few parts from the people on here, 2 tanks, seat, motor, a perfect NOS bassani headpipe, never had any problems, always a pleasure to deal with the guys on here. so like i said, do your research, check out a few websites for parts, post some want ads in the classifieds, etc...you should be fine.

BigGreenMachine
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
The 84/85 Tecate can be had complete for really cheap compared to a 84/85/86 250R and Tri-Z. The 86/87 in good shape tend to go for about 2g's most instances.

I've never had problems finding parts for my 85 other them some NEW small discontinued items. Ebay is the source for everything you need that you can't buy new. I even picked up NEW OEM engine case halves a year or more ago.

The 86/87 T3 you don't really see many parts for them on Ebay. You'd be well off if you were to find a runner and then a parts machine to go with it.

Aftermarket following is pretty strong for both machines. Reed cages, pistons, sleeves to fix the Nikisel liners in the cylinders, crank bearing kits, 300/330cc bigbore kits, Cool Heads with changeable domes...its all out there to be had for these machines. The only stuff that is hard to find is extended axles and extended swingarms. BUT! I'll be taking care of some extended swingarms in the upcoming season I do hope. Extending the axle can be taken care of by using a greater offset wheel or wheel spacers.

Its all out there for these machines. You may have to be a lil creative to get what you want but anything is possible.

Rennat_2006
12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
So Tri-z's are actaully harder to find parts for huh? Wow i would have thought the opposite!

I have looked for it more since but cant find it again!

What years would be best to get? The 84-85's or the later 86-87's? The later are harder to find parts for? What was changed between the years just small stuff or major?

tecat-z
12-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Honistly the only interchangeable parts are the rear hubs, rear wheels, lug nuts, and i few small insignificant parts. The first and second gen T3s are more closely related by name than any other single part. Just the sad fact. On the upside first gens are brutally simple and extremely fast if you know the techniques. They were the lightest of any of the performance trikes at just 271 pounds. This alone gives it a small advantage it the power to weight ratio. They are very fun and quick turning machines that can be built properly with patients. My advice is get a first gen while you can, prices are still reasonable, but as performance 2 stroke trikes become more difficult to locate, the selling prices will reflect this demand for decent quality restorable tecates.

Tecate250
12-13-2006, 07:26 PM
The only thing bad about the tecate in my eyes is the air filter. What a bleep bleep bleep to get in and off. I have herd bad things about thr ricky stators and have one my self. I have had a lighting coil bolt rattle out and destroyed the stator but the mag was usable.

slothminx
12-13-2006, 07:45 PM
I havent come across anything that cant be found for my Z(except from shrouds, airbox cover and headlight shell), the majority of parts can even be had from the dealer themselves!.

T3 LOPES
12-13-2006, 07:56 PM
your right about the Ricky stators . the one i bought took a sh!t and my buddys did also ,and we live in the same town. Crazy , but ricky always took care of it right away. the air boxes suck, but theres nothing we can do about it if we want it to look stock. so it is what it is.