PDA

View Full Version : clutch springs for zinger

Skinut
12-11-2006, 08:12 PM
i am hearing from the grape vine that pw50 hole shot clutch springs will fit on my YT tri-zinger. Can anybody back this up or have done it to theirs and would like to tell me hot they are? thanks

mnnmaz
12-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I had a buddy do it, it worked pretty good! never new they were done!

Vealmonkey
12-11-2006, 10:04 PM
I put them on my zinger. They just let the engine rev a liitle more before kicking in. If you have a kid that isn't hard on the throttle it won't make a difference, but if you are a thumb throttle abuser, they will definitely holeshot a stocker and come harder out of the corners. They go nicely with a better pipe, air filter and reeds and carb rejet.

Skinut
12-11-2006, 11:56 PM
can u tell me more about the carb rejet? i have the reeds,pipe, and filter and i want to do these springs and the carb rejet. So how do i go about getting jets? Any web sites u would recomend? and is it easy to do? thanks alot

Vealmonkey
12-12-2006, 12:36 AM
You have to get the jets at the local Yami dealer. If you ever have to rebuild the carb, you have to get all the parts at the local yammi dealer also. So stock up if you think you are going to go through the carb do it all at once. Also, I disabled the 2 stroke injection pump and I premix my fuel. I've been looking into putting pw50 front end on the trizinger. It wouild give a little bit better ride and would look different. It is easier to get the front fenders for the pw50 than the zinger and the tire would be sort of like tire on the front end of 250r, well, maybe that's stretching it a little. You can also use the twist throttle and single throttle cable of the pw50 if you get rid of your oil injection. Have you ported your cylinder and shaved the head down yet? Be careful how much you shave off or you will have to use racing gas. Klotz makes a nice racing fuel for go karts which works surprisingly well if you go down the road of high compression. Oh, and as far as jet sizes, you will have to experiment because your areas climate and elevation and your riding style and all that, but definitely go up several sizes.

Skinut
12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
awsome great info man thanks so much. ya i haven't shaved the head yet iwill prob jsut wait till i blow it up thne do that. What are the advantages of disconecting the oil injection pump? thanks again

Vealmonkey
12-13-2006, 01:24 AM
I was never a big fan of oil injection on a 2 stroke that you might run hard, if the pump fails, you S-O-L. If you disable it yourself and premix, just one less thing to worry about. And you can have alot smoother throttle without the injection line on it. And it shaves a little weight off the trike and makes it simpler to wrench on. If your going to shave your head, you really have to watch the piston to spark plug clearance. Also, you have to have the head dead on level or you will never get the head gasket to seal right. I wish I could find someone that could make copper head gaskets for the yt60, that would be alot better than the gaskets available and you could always run 2 copper gaskets or a thicker gasket if you shaved the head too much.

Skinut
12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
ya i see what u are saying. awsome well great info man thanks. U have an pic's of your zinger?

bigreddaddy
10-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Can the clutch on the tri-zinger be adjusted? The manual doesn't show any adjustment, only a schematic of the clutch assembly.

Vealmonkey
10-19-2007, 03:45 PM
There is no clutch adjustment, it's just a centrifugal clutch. About the only adjustment is using heavier springs. The heavier springs let the shoes of the clutch engange at a higher rpm, generally meaning more punch at clutch engagement.

bigreddaddy
10-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Since I found that it had a plugged exhaust it has lost major low end. I installed boyessen reeds, a dg exhaust, and re-jetted with no improvement.
I drilled a hole in the oem exhaust, cleaned it, jetted back to stock, installed a pod air filter, new plugs, adjusted the brake, etc. Low end improved a little, but nothing like it was.
So now I'm thinking it may be the clutch slipping.

Vealmonkey
10-20-2007, 07:09 AM
The exhaust pipes had 2 different gaskets available. One gasket, sort of looks like a flat washer with a restricted opening. The other gasket takes full advantage of the exhaust diameter. Make sure you have the larger opening of the 2 gaskets. The big restriction after that is the intake and reeds. Old racers modified these all the time. There was also an aftermarket company that made hi performance parts for the zinger like improved intakes and reed valve set ups. You need to be very creative in this department if you are modifying your own. Aluminum welding skills help alot also. You might want to try and get the new clutch shoes at your local dealer. Also the clutch shoe "basket" maybe worn down. I'll have to check my manual and see if there is a wear spec. on the baskets.