PDA

View Full Version : Help with an '85 Big Red 250

Boomerang
12-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I have an '85 250 Big Red. Problem is it requires full choke to start, and will not idle without choke until it warms up. Once the engine is hot, without choke of course, it almost idles too fast, but runs excellent.

This seems to be a ever common problem with the older Hondas. What can be done to alleviate this issue? Also, I noticed the spark was a little weak. Would a new coil help with this at all or does the carb need cleaned? I've not tried that on this machine, but on other Hondas I've owned like 200s's, that was not successful. Help anyone?

Chris

jsimonh
12-11-2006, 09:46 AM
:welcome: to the boards. I would try cleaning the carb since you haven't. It sounds like a fuel issue. Maybe check your idle adjust and you air/fuel mixture screw as well. If you have an ohm meter or can get one that would be a good way to check your coil and other eletrical stuff.

bigreddaddy
12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Definitely clean your carb. The idle issue could also be caused by a sticky throttle cable.
I had to adjust mine in the carb because it wasn't allowing the butterfly valve to close all the way causing it to idle very high.

Boomerang
12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
The problem isn't idling high, the problem is it won't idle at all until it warms up for about 5 minutes.

It will not start without full choke, and after it starts it will not idle without full choke until it's warm.

After the engine is warm, it continues to idle faster as the engine heats up.

Carb cleaned, didn't help.

Any ideas? I used to have an '84 200s and it had the same exact problem. Never did figure it out.

TravEX
12-13-2006, 11:47 PM
John, what exactly is the 'cold weather kit', is it a bigger pilot, or different vent hoses and routing? How do you know for sure if a 85 has had it done?

bigreddaddy
12-14-2006, 01:18 AM
John, what exactly is the 'cold weather kit', is it a bigger pilot, or different vent hoses and routing? How do you know for sure if a 85 has had it done?

Yes you will have the different hose setup with the cold weather kit. Not sure about the pilot.

To the original poster, are you sure your using the correct spark plug? Just a thought, but it does sound like the cold weather deal. Does your carb have the kit? It should have about 5 hoses on the carb if you do.

Boomerang
12-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Interesting. I honestly don't know if it has the kit or not. I'll have to check that, but I've honestly never seen a difference with temperature. It doesn't seem to matter if it's 10F or 90F, it acts the same way.