PDA

View Full Version : ytm 200 timing adjust.

WIkid500
12-09-2006, 11:10 PM
ok I was reading in the manual about the ignition timing adjustment... I know with other engines if you advance timing you can gain hp, to a point. The question is how much can I go before detonation? 3-5 deg. ok?

just trying to squeeze every last drop of power out of this old girl.:cool:

thanks

WIkid500
12-10-2006, 12:03 PM
no replies....
when I get the rear axle back in I am going to adjust untill it detonates, then back it up a few deg. untill it runs the best. The worst I can see happeining is it gets harder to start. no biggie for me.

peace

thefox
12-10-2006, 01:59 PM
How do you plan on adjusting it? It is fixed from the factory.

WIkid500
12-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Idk I was paging through the manual and noticed the ign. timing adjustment. but It only talks about where it "should" be. I assume it is a set spot. but if I get a 1 deg. or 1.5 deg. advanced offset timing key that would do the trick. all it would do is move the flywheel ahead from the stock location. unless the flywheel is slotted where I can just loosen screws, and rotate it but I don't think I will be that lucky. I gotta look into this.

troy
12-10-2006, 07:57 PM
nope, as far as i know and can remember it's got a key way that locks it in place so it can't be moved off the factory settings.

WIkid500
12-10-2006, 08:52 PM
nope, as far as i know and can remember it's got a key way that locks it in place so it can't be moved off the factory settings.

But an offset key would do the trick. It's done all the time in snowmobile engines. I just have to find one that will work, or have one made.