PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Burning Out?

Bender
12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
I have replaced the headlight 5 times since the begining of last summer! Each one burns out faster than the last one. The high beams will go out and then low beams. Last night i replaced it again and i rode for about 5 minutes and highs went out so switced it to the lows and they went out about 30 seconds later and i had to ride home in the dark! I never touch em before i put them in. Why is this happening? The last one i had in was really dim like a flashlight after i thought it burnt out but came back on really dim only on low. Could it be because i broke the glass on the outside?

TRI-Zbrian
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
voltage regulater....

Bender
12-07-2006, 01:01 PM
I dont know anything about electrical.

troy
12-07-2006, 01:19 PM
voltage regulator is gone, . trust me for the amount you just spent on replacing bulbs you could of had a new regulator. :) .

My ski doo was the same thing, bulb after bulb after bulb, all because the voltage regulator was dead. not cheap replacing 3 halogen blub's after 5 minutes

mike84bigred
12-07-2006, 07:41 PM
The headlight might just be draining to much power. What machine is it? Do you have a stock bulb or aftermarket, or just something that totally dosen't belong on there? We know we have all seen that. haha

troy
12-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Are you using halogen bulbs, Seems to me you are, and if you are then that half the problem there, some how some way theres hand oil or oil in general getting on the bulb. Also this whole voltage regulator thing (i think) maybe playing a part in this if it isn't the bulb.

In my many years of working on ski doo and bike wiring and electrical i'v never hard of a bulb burning out becauses it sucking up to much power. the coil will only put out what it's designed to put out. I'v heard of the lighting coils burning out because of to big of a wattage, but never a bulb

Chevy n Honda
12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Actually had the same problem today on an 82 185s.
Kept burning up tailights until we replaced the burnt out
headlight. Called our local Honda guy and he said
if either the headlight or tailight is out, if you rev the
motor way up it can burn the other out.
Beats the hell out of me . My first impression was
voltage regulator was bad also.

C n H

troy
12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
in some cases this is possable, because when the two bulbs are combined together they each work with one another to break down the voltage. most head lights are 45 to 55 watts and the tail lights can be from 5 to 21 watts. So i'm guessing this is the method yours is using. :wondering

X2guy
12-08-2006, 02:28 PM
My guess is the voltage regulator.
The voltage regulator is designed to suck up additional voltage if it goes over say 14v. I've had the same thing happen on a sled.

TimSr
12-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Could it be because i broke the glass on the outside?

What glass are you talking about? Are you saying the lens cover is broken and you are riding without one? If so, that is a good place to start. Halogen bulbs are very sensitive to moisture, and as was mentioned, even oil from your fingers.

If your lens cover is intact, the problem is the voltage regulator. On some models it is integrated into another component and cannot be changed by itself, but you can add a generic one such as the "volt pack" sold by Dennis Kirk for about $15.

thefox
12-08-2006, 10:12 PM
What glass are you talking about? Are you saying the lens cover is broken and you are riding without one? If so, that isa good plave to satrt. Halogen bulbs are very sensitive to moisture, and as was mentioned, even oil from your fingers.

If your lens cover is intact, the problem is the voltage regulator. On some models it is integrated into another component and cannot be changed by itself, but you can add a generic one such as the "volt pack" sold by Dennis Kirk for about $15.

Good advice Tim

Just this summer I blew a few headlights in my motorcycle. It turned out that the seal between the glass and the metal backing was bad so when it would rain a little watter could seam past and spray on the bulb causing it to blow.

troy
12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Good advice Tim

Just this summer I blew a few headlights in my motorcycle. It turned out that the seal between the glass and the metal backing was bad so when it would rain a little watter could seam past and spray on the bulb causing it to blow.
Halogen's are one of the best type lights to have, bright and some times if you buy the right ones crystal clear white light, but are cranky if expose to any form of water or oil's. I notice a 100 percent difference when i switch to a halogen blue bulb 55/60 watt