PDA

View Full Version : Big Red hanging on the fence!

BigRedBlair
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Hello

I am stuck as what to do. My 250 motor is stuck in reverse, and the case is cracked.

I got new cases and cleaned them all up. They look to be mint.

So now I have to decide if I should take on spliting the block finding the stuck in reverse problem, and then transfer everything over to the new cases.

I built a bench, and ready to go but I have my doughts because once I tear into her not to many places will help me out if I get stuck or F up.

I'll take some pics, maybe with some help I'll get r done...

Anybody a pro that wouldn't mind some questions for the next month would be awsome.

:( :beer :beer :Bounce

thefox
12-06-2006, 11:19 AM
We are always here to help a fellow triker out.

You do have a repair manual, right?

BigRedBlair
12-06-2006, 11:32 AM
yes I've read it over and over
I should be able to do it, if I can take my time.

longbedGTs
12-06-2006, 11:35 AM
In all honesty, Id go into a motor blind knowing the people here have got my back. No, Ive never torn into one before.

atctim
12-06-2006, 11:43 AM
a word of advice:

When you take it apart - have a notebook handy. Write down the way everything comes apart. Label your parts and sketch everything so you know how it all goes back together. If you don't keep track of each and every piece and where it came from - you'll have a very hard time. Also - beware: sometimes when pulling things apart, by the time you get it apart, some parts may fall out - and leave you wondering - where did that come from. That is where your manual will be a very valuable asset

BigRedBlair
12-06-2006, 12:38 PM
a word of advice:

When you take it apart - have a notebook handy. Write down the way everything comes apart. Label your parts and sketch everything so you know how it all goes back together. If you don't keep track of each and every piece and where it came from - you'll have a very hard time. Also - beware: sometimes when pulling things apart, by the time you get it apart, some parts may fall out - and leave you wondering - where did that come from. That is where your manual will be a very valuable asset

thanks guys this is a good start. I already have one piece that FELL OUT so I know what you mean. I had the covers off and when I tipped the cycle it fell out.DOE...

I got the cases spot less now so I have to start someplace. Chapter 5 250 Engine here we go....

I better get a marker, tape, bin, ziplocks, camera, notepad.

:idea:

maggiesboy
12-06-2006, 01:40 PM
you'll be good to go. This group is awesome!

p26575r16
12-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I have gotten into the habit of taking pictures before, during, and after dissasembly. It seems to help out when you have that ONE part left over.