PDA

View Full Version : ATC70 Build Up NEW PIC w/ tank updated 1-3

Macs
12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Here is my newly required ATC70. i know i have been driving yall nuts with questions about these things since i am unfamiliar with them.I bought this off of ebay a couple of weeks ago for $180. the motor seems pretty solid but the reast of it is pretty unhealthy. I i have bought almost every part i am going to need for the rebuild which has been a pretty penny. I am going to por15 this whole machine before paining anything, i plan on having this machine for a while. I just need a couple of days off to get this thing done.

okiedragster
12-05-2006, 11:11 PM
i bought one on ebay too i while back and im still rounding up parts for it, ive just about got the motor ready. i wanted to get it running good while it was still in the frame and then tear it down. so the motor is about all thats left on the frame now...lol. its a good lil winter project i hope i find everything before spring so the kido can rip on it...good luck!..................click my atc70 pic in my sig...

Macs
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
i am going to leave my motor alone. it feels pretty strong. i will just give it a tuneup and a paint job. Besides the motor everything will be brand new except the frame. i figgured if i could get 2 weekends i can complete it.

Macs
12-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I finally got some days off for Christmas and just got the frame painted. I used the Por 15 system which cost a pretty penny but it should never have to be painted again. I am going to rebuild the engine now or buy a lifan cause there is a huge chunk missing out of my head. :w00t:

okiedragster
12-25-2006, 04:29 PM
i got quite a bit done on mine last week on some days off now all i need to do is some little stuff and we will be ready to gas on it.. :w00t:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=61236

Macs
12-25-2006, 05:33 PM
yours looks pretty good. What kinda exhaust is that. I was able to locate a brand new hooker. I am not sure of the sound yet. all i have left is to repair a dent on the tank, figure out what i am going to do about the motor ( i am thinking of replacing it since everything else is brand new ) the seat and i need a brake handle for the new bars. I will keep yall updated.

okiedragster
12-25-2006, 06:30 PM
i got that pipe off of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=180056450276 / i only had to make one small bend in it to get it to work out, and i think i took about a inch off the length too. it kinda blued it a bit but its behind that sheild anyways so...my stock pipe was rusted to dust so that one is a major inprovement for sure...if you have any ?'s pm me im sure you will have some of the same probs i had...lol

Macs
12-25-2006, 07:08 PM
you definatley cant beat that price. So far everything has went real smooth. Replaced all the bearings, brakes and everything went pretty well except for discovery problems like a chunk missing out of my head and that on atc70's the brake handle is welded to the bars ( doh!! ). I will definatley keep your offer in mind. Thanks

okiedragster
12-25-2006, 08:53 PM
yea, i had to get a stock set of bars off ebay too, mine was bent , look like it had been flipped backwards and got the grab bar and handle bars both. i was gonna get a regular set of bars and i too would have had to find a brake perch, so i just kept the stock bars and saved me some trouble...lol

badass70
12-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I finally got some days off for Christmas and just got the frame painted. I used the Por 15 system which cost a pretty penny but it should never have to be painted again. I am going to rebuild the engine now or buy a lifan catuse there is a huge chunk missing out of my head. :w00t: Barry, the Lifan engine seems real good ,but some fabrication is necessary to mount recoil start.most are kick to rear. or there are elect start avalible.just to warn ya.Ron

Macs
12-26-2006, 12:15 AM
i have read the article and it doesnt sound too bad. I am looking at the electric strat models and just disable the kickstarter. I can bump start it if neccesary.

Vealmonkey
12-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Barry, There is alot of electrical wiring to hook up on the electric start models and you will have to fabricate some type of battery holder. I liked the simplicity of just converting a kick start over to pull start. You can use the side cover of the atc70, but the atc70 cover will take some more modding than the trx cover does though, but it will work. I can help you get through it as I have done this on my lifan 125 now with recoil start and 4 sp manual clutch. You mainly need a drill and some taps and a nice table saw helps. Also, I welded up the hole for the neutral indicator on my trx70 sidecover as the lifan engine has no neutral indicator.

Macs
12-26-2006, 12:38 AM
If i have been understanding right i will have to have a battery anyway for the electronic ignition. Right???? I have read several adds for these engines with no electric start and they say that they need a battery but then of course some of them dont mention it. The wiring will not be much of a problem. dratv has a great wiring diagram and i have run across a bunch of other ood ones while surfing the net. I have done eyeballed a good place to install the battery also. I am just looking at the cost diffrence. After i am have researched all the things i am going to have to buy to get one to work i might be just rebuilding the engine that came out of it.

Vealmonkey
12-26-2006, 01:03 AM
If you get a kickstart engine, you don't need a battery to run the electronic ignition, it runs off the magneto. And if you have the side cover and pull starter of the atc70, you have all the parts you need to convert to a recoil starter. You just need to have some good bits and taps. You could even plug the hole with jb weld if all you are going to do is paint the side cover silver.

Macs
01-01-2007, 07:38 PM
I went ahead and bought the 110 w/ electric start. today i was going to start the pink painting and the assembly. Well everything went great but i sprayed my clear on a little thick. when i put it into the oven it started running like crazy. So i tried to sand it a little early to try to get it done today and tore into the pink. So now i have to start over. It sucks that my next day off is march 13 and that is when i am going to florida. I will update pics soon.

Macs
01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
It is now a roller. I also got the tank repainted tonight. I had to put it on real thin cause i was running out of paint. I might go back and repaint it later. But it looks pretty good. It is looking like i might get this weekend off. If i do i should beable to put it all together.

MTS
01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Looks sweet, but whats with that Red 4 wheeled Contraption behind it?!?! :lol:

Macs
01-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Well my gaughter needs something to ride till i get this done. lol I have been working on it in the shed and just then had brought it into the garage. I cannot keep her away from it. I think when i am done i am going to put it in her room until she is old enought o ride. If i leave it in the garage i will be too tempted to tear it up.

jmsmilin
01-02-2007, 10:43 PM
is that a white brake cable?

Macs
01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
well, it is a white sleeve. I bought some white cold shrink and went to town. Turned out really nice. I am going to try to cover all wires and hoses with the stuff.

okiedragster
01-03-2007, 03:13 AM
shes is lookin good, i thought about goin pink on my daughters also, but im afraid my son ,when he gets big enough might not approve of the pink...lol..nice job so far...

oh yea, i had to buy a plastic tank for mine yesterday, the one on it was a rust bucket..oh well i wont have to worry about the rust problem any more i guess..lol

SYKO
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM
hey man will you be able to use the floor boards I sent??

Macs
01-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I already have them POR15, topcoated and cleared. They turned out very nice. As soon as the new engine gets here i will put those on. Thanks.

New2ATC
01-03-2007, 12:35 PM
looks pretty good man.. Thats one thing I love about the little bikes.. so easy to take apart.. Cant wait to see the finished project..

Macs
01-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Well i put the tank on after work today and must say, it turned out nicer than i thought it was. My daughter beats on the door to go out just so she can go play on it. Everytime she see's it she grabs it and goes BBRRRRR. So this is Tessa and her Trike.

Macs
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I am resurecting this thread. I am hoping that this will give me the motivation to finish it. I stopped because of the move but still am not in my new home to finish it. I should close on the 29th so after i am settled this will be my first priority. I hate leaving projects unfinished. they are so hard to start back on.

Bryan Raffa
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I hear ya there... nice idea on the shrink tube..I like that..ya learn something on every build...Big or Small;)

drhatc200
01-23-2008, 04:50 PM
hey veal i stopped and looked at that 70 for my little girl with me today she had a fit that guy said hey would lay it away for $225. 30 days to pay for it. she wants it. it fired right up on 2nd pull no smoke.

Vealmonkey
01-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Sounds good, glad you're picking it up. Even if the engine was trashed, there are other options besides rebuilding the original engine. I want to see pics of your daughter and the 70. Now go get her a nice helmet and pads and outfit.