PDA

View Full Version : Which carb to use?

Tecate250
12-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I have a huge delema about carbs. Im still wondering which carb to put on the refitted tecate. I appear to have either a 83-84 kx 250 carb. Is there a difference, in either design or jetting. And I have a Tecate 4 Flat side keihin.
Now the bike worked great with the regular keihin,with the stock setting.
But befor I had it bored a long time ago I had the tecate 4 carb and it seemed to surge at low rpm. BAD! So I put the reg back on and it works fine. But Can the kx 250 throttle cable fit into a kawy thumb throttle? Also can both carbs use each others jets.Is there an advantage to flat side vs reg?

BigGreenMachine
12-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Use the Tecate 4 flatslide or buy a KX500 39mm PWK. Bigger carbs will give you more hp when matched to a nice pipe, reeds, filter and port job.

I bought a new TMX flatslide from Sudco..if I had my time back I would have bought a used KX500 PWK instead.

Surging is a case of too rich pilot/airscrew settings.

Mikuni jets do not work in Keihin carbs as far as I know. If you have both, try it. I don't want to bust down my carbs to find out. lol

The KX/KXT cable should work with the Tecate 4 thumb throttle. I think ATCWRENCH runs one on his T3.

Tecate250
12-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Both carbs are the same make just different design. Are the 83-84 kx 250 carbs the same?

Tecate250
12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
I read the jetting theory and When the bikoe comes back together my carbs both might give me hell. I have never changed anything except for fuel height and moving the needle. So my tecate is bored out 0.50 is going to have a dg silencer god knows what the front pipe. It has a uni air filter v force reed cage. I still dont know if I have a kx 250 cylinder. And All I have for carbs is keihin plain and keihin flat side. I might be in over my head to dial in either.

BigGreenMachine
12-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Jetting isn't hard. At all...just takes some basic knowledge. Use the flatslide. Better throttle response with a flatslide.
A little .50 bore won't change jetting, the DG won't change it much if at all, the Vforce reed block may need a slight increase and a pipe would need some jetting.

KX cylinder will have a bridge or divider in the exhaust port, the Tecate has nothing in the exhaust port.

Read this.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html

Tecate250
12-05-2006, 09:23 PM
So it would look like the intake port?
if so mine must be the tecate.
I remember buying 2 jet sizes from my local shop.
I think they were pilot jets but they were the next sizes up. Should I have gone with the bigger/smaller ones?
This is hard for me to explain with the bike being completely ripped down and not running. I just want better performance then I did. Or at least know its running right..

BIg Green you have helped me out a few times.
I hope you get the chance to see my grab bar from the back.:beer

BigGreenMachine
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Safe to say yours is a Tecate cylinder.

More air getting in or out needs more fuel to compensate hence a bigger jet.

Tecate250
12-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I have found out thanks to Kawaski.coms fiche that my carb is off a 83 kx250.
So Im going with the 88 tecate flat side carb.