PDA

View Full Version : New Toy! *Question for 90 owners*

TrikeKid
12-01-2006, 09:43 PM
My freind just stopped by and delivered my new toy. . Engine is ATC90, don't know what year yet but it runs, so it's already one up on the last trike I had (that I never did get running), Some carburation issues that I think will fix themselves when I put an air filter back on it. To get running, I need an air filter, chain, tires and a steering stem nut. Eventually it'll get an exhaust on it, pull the dent out of the tank, get a new front fender and get a headlight on it. Also need to do something about my recoil rope, the sheething is coming off it, are those recoil cable kits worth going to?
Anyway onto the pics (I appoligise for the quality, it's dark outside the shop and I shake like a crack head in withdrawls)
Vid to capture what it sounds like, and how easy it starts, it shuts itself off at the end cause that was the last of the gas.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4QXdKkExrws

*EDIT* What's the shift pattern on these motors? Mine seems to have a one down the rest up pattern I've only seen honda use on autoclutch road bikes :crazy:

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-13351-1165020679.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-13351-1165020708.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-13351-1165020776.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-13351-1165020835.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-13351-1165020888.jpg

Rennat_2006
12-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Nice Looking should make a good project.

Im definetely looking into one of the cable kits for my 110, it seems like no matter what i do/what type of rope i use i keep breaking my pullstarter also.

BigReds Forever
12-02-2006, 02:00 AM
i wouldnt do this on a nice atc, but on my one of my mini bikes (briggs) i just used a piece of 3/16 cable and used cable clamps around a small piece of barstock to fasten the handle. Seams to work good, pulls nice, hasnt frayed at all yet, and would be a quick cheap fix

MTS
12-02-2006, 02:04 AM
You can swap that Head motor mount out for one off a Honda CT90, its flat, has no Mount and bolts right on, will give you the fender clearence

TrikeKid
12-02-2006, 02:05 AM
You can swap that Head motor mount out for one off a Honda CT90, its flat, has no Mount and bolts right on, will give you the fender clearence
Yeah, I was just digging up pics of Honda 90's to figure out which ones had flat head caps on them, looks like pretty much any bike will have what I'm looking for.

Vealmonkey
12-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Even with the flat head cap, you will still have the bolts hitting the fender. Alot of people just trim down the fender. You have a nice start. Good cheap hopups are an atc110 carb and intake, better exhaust and better intake filter. You can always put a nice little cam and pep it up more. Make sure to change oil and clean the filter screen behind the cluctch side outer cover. Alot of people switch over to the atc90\110 wheels, 8" rims, so you can have better tire options. You can get a low profile holeshot tire or you can get sort of a "flat track" tire. A good website to check fot parts is Dr. Atv also known as beatrice cycle, they have alot of 70 parts. The blue tank and fenders are pretty rare. They were only available in 1983 and on bikes that were given out by raffle for Christmas, there was only 1 blue atc70 available per dealership! Save the fenders and tank if you can, also the decals for the blue 83 are all different than what came on the red bikes. You will have fun with your 70. Right now I'm putting one together with a Lifan 125 kickstart 4spd clutch engine that is a bolt in. I converted it to pull start. If you want to get really crazy, you could get a stroker crank and a big bore piston, resleeve your cylinder, add a big cam and port your head some and you would have a screaming 180cc engine. If not, there is someone on the board who converts 200x engines that will fit into the atc70! You will soon be addicted and welcome to the dark side. Keep your 70 hidden if you and your friends drink around your house alot as your messed up friends will have a tendency to hijack your 70 and ride it around your neighborhood, much to the dismay of the neighbors! Don't ask me how I know these things. Soon several of your braver friends will be buying 70s and the late night street races will soon begin. Be prepared for things to get a little crazy. If you still like your 70 after all this, then you are ready to start looking for the ultimate, the suspension 70. Then you have fully come over to the dark side.

TrikeKid
12-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Looking for, I already got twisted little plans swirling in my head for building a suspension 70!

Vealmonkey
12-02-2006, 04:04 AM
I have a modified rear swingarm from a crf50 that is set up to take an atc90 bearing carrier. It is in steel so it is very heavy. If you were to copy it in aluminum, then you would have something. Keep scheming and good luck.

Mosh
12-02-2006, 09:35 AM
That is cool.The shift pattern????? On our 78 atc 90 the gears all shift down.

team-red-rider
12-02-2006, 12:40 PM
oh btw dr.atv has new blue atc 70 fenders from maier

thefox
12-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I would also pop the tank and make sure the frame isn't bent. The 70's have a tendency to bend under the tank, if left too long and beat on they can snap:rolleyes: .

TrikeKid
12-02-2006, 01:40 PM
I would also pop the tank and make sure the frame isn't bent. The 70's have a tendency to bend under the tank, if left too long and beat on they can snap:rolleyes: .
I had the tank off last night (trying to figure out what carb it has on it, it's not an ATC or CT carb that I can tell), no bend!

Vealmonkey
12-02-2006, 04:10 PM
The blue fenders from dr.atv are just not the same blue as the atc70. They are a darker blue more like yamaha blue, I have a set. Without knowing the year of your engine, it's hard to say what carb is on it. If it is an early carb, it will have a pull knob for high altitude adjustment on the left side of the carb that has the word "pull" etched into it. If it is later, the carb will be like the later atc90 carbs. It could be a real frankenstein bike though. All the 90 carbs were basically the same. As for the shift pattern, I would need to see a better lit picture of the left and right sides of the engine. It should be just like any other atc90 unless you have a manual clutch engine, and they did make them with and without the hi\lo gears on them. Let me see good pics of the right and left side. Also be aware of wether the chain sizes match at the front and rear sprockets. I think there were several odd years of chain sizes for the 90s, especially with the road bikes.

TrikeKid
12-02-2006, 05:08 PM
It's a CT or ATC engine, auto clutch, pull start, with the sub trans. The chain sizes won't match with the 90 and 70 combo, the 90 runs 428 and the 70 runs a 420, the only diffrence is a slight discrepency in width, that isn't really an issue. I say I don't think it's an ATC carb, because there is not an integrated petcock, the choke lever is diffrent, and it doesn't have the "altitude compensating" knob.

TrikeKid
12-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Figured it out yesterday while I was fixing the starter, it's a 74 ATC motor. Well, at least temporarily fixing the starter, found a B&S starter laying around the garage and robbed it of it's rope. It's a little short, but it does work.