PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 question

Macs
11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
I feel like this is a dumb question but where are the points located. I am positive they are located on the left side of the head but i cannot get that cover off. Before i use way too much force i need to make sure. is there a trick to it?

atctim
11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
there is a bolt head directly on the other side of the head (either 10mm or 12mm). Remove this bolt first, then pop the cap off with a screw driver. That bolt goes the whole way through the head and screws into the back of the oints cover cap

thefox
11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
If I remember right the points are behind the rotor, not on the head. To get the round cover on the head off there is a 10mm bolt that goes through the head and threads into it, look to the right of the sparkplug and remove that bolt. Crazy design there, the bolt goes through the cam! Of course because the points aren't there you don't have to take the cover off (I had to replace a cam chain and struggled with that cover too).

Macs
11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
so where exactly are the oints located if there not behind that cover

Macs
11-29-2006, 04:27 PM
i just looked on bike bandit. the points are behind the flywheel???? So i unbolt the pull starter, undo the flywheel nut and pull the fly wheel. do i need to take the side cover of the engine off too? it seems lie last time i tried to pull the flywheel it wouldnt fit through the hole in the casing. so i guess what i am asking is what all needs to be removed to change the points