PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on board

Rajunrick
11-29-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi all. Just started a complete resurrection on an 82 250R. Had one a long time ago when I was a kid and out of shear stupidity scattered the engine and sold it for next to nothing. I found this one and it is turning out to be a pain in my rear. I've bought all kinds of odds and ends for it and I still have a long way to go. I've got an 85 front end to put on it complete with hub, rim, and neck bearings and races. I made an intake that is large enough to let me use an 85 carb and stretched the filter boot to fit the carb and still use the air box. A couple of questions I have are is there a performance difference between the 82 CDI and the 83-84 CDI? If there is I figure I could just get the wiring harness and CDI for an 83-84 and plug it in since they use the same stator. Next, how far can I bore the cylinder out? I had someone tell me I could go 1mm and still have plenty left. That doesn't sound right to me. But if it is possible then I'll do it. I'll appreciate any advice or tips I can get on this project.

ceaserthethird
11-29-2006, 03:32 AM
WelCome to the Boards , their will be plenty of reply's ...

Take some picture's and post them up ....:pics:

Eric250R
11-29-2006, 05:07 AM
I just passed on an 82 250R for 100 bucks.....and it would start on the first or second kick. Not that I wanted to pass on it but I had just lost my job and couldn't afford it....... anywho, good luck with your project and :welcome: :welcome:

SYKO
11-29-2006, 09:09 AM
:welcome: yo!!!! glad your here!!!, I dont have a clue about those air foolers man, but its a start!:w00t:

Macs
11-29-2006, 11:01 AM
What part of la are you in. There is no diffrences of the power out put or the CDI's of the two diffrent models. On the bore if you go too much you will have serious cooling issues. These things are a little difficult to keep cool as it is. are you trying to bore it that far cause it needs it? i would just buy a good used cylinder and do a slight bore on that. If you do a huge overbore for more power, the diffrence it makes will not make up for the great reliability loss.

BigGreenMachine
11-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Yup, a bore on a two-stroke will not make any difference. It is more of a repair then a performance mod. Unless you go with a bigbore 300 kit.

oldsking86
11-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Exhaust and gearing are your major concerns for power in a 2 stroke unless like BGM said, bigbore kit of 300cc or larger
By the way :welcome: you'll learn lots form here.. pics would be great too

Rajunrick
11-30-2006, 03:01 AM
To tell you the truth, I haven't busted into the motor yet. Just kind of brain storming as I go. I'm looking to get as much power twisted out of it as possible without having to spend mega bucks. How much does a 300 kit cost and can they still be found? I've been running into alot of discontinued parts problems, so I either have to pay an arm and a leg for what I need or use the machine shop at my job to make what I need. As far as pics, lol, ain't much to look at right now. Thanks for the advice all.