PDA

View Full Version : What is it that fails when HONDA kickstarts slip??

Dirtcrasher
04-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Do the teeth merely get rounded or is there something else that happens. This is in a 250SX but probably similar to all the Hondas.

J.D.
04-14-2003, 03:29 PM
I dunno, but this TLR200 that I rode not too long ago when you went to kick it, it would occasional just slip right down and not turn over. I imagine it's something internaly with the kicker gears??

Howdy
04-14-2003, 04:09 PM
On the 250sx & 250es's the problem is the one way clutch. I bet it also make a whirling noise when it's turned off also. That is a tell tail sign of a bad one way clutch ( Honda calls it a clutch sprag? )
It's in behind the centrifical clutch. It is a faily easy fix but it's not too cheap. The clutch sprag ( one way clutch ) cost $60-$80 ( I can't remember the exact cost ).

Howdy

wanta250r
04-14-2003, 04:58 PM
On my 200x it slips if you don't use the kicker right. It will make a nasty, crack sound that doesn't sound good. I don't know what do about it

J.D.
04-14-2003, 05:08 PM
60-80 bucks for some little clutch? That's ridiculous!!

jeswinehart
04-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Dirtcrasher, like howdy said,,, fairly easy to work on. i have never been into them gears on my bigred but my book say's there the same assembly/components. there is sevral pages related to the kick starter.
do you want me to run copys out of my book and mail it to you ?

oh yeah,,, the better news, don't appear you hafta break the cases in half like i am gonna hafta do on my possesed lil 200x to get to a worn kicker gear.

john

Dirtcrasher
04-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks John I have the manual I just need to get it apart!

Howdy, Now that were on the subject. I've seen one way clutches in machinery forcing drive in one direction only, but how does it relate to a kickstarter in an SX?? Whats it do??

Wonder how many people condemn the gears before realizing it's that!! oops

Thanks guys

Howdy
04-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Here is the short of it:
The kick starter actuates the kicker gears that spins the centrifical clutch. The one-way clutch transfers the centrifical clutch spinning to the crank shaft. When the crank shaft spins you get it running ( normally ).

I forgot to mention this earlier: The one-way clutch is actually dual purpose. It also keeps the motor from spinning or kicking backwards when the motor is shut off. If it doesn't stop the backward spin the starter gears will get damaged ( if the motor kicks backwards ).
This is the most common cause of starter failers I have found on the 250cc motors. Anyone that has seen the starter & gears chewed up knows what I am talking about.

When you figure the cost to replace the electric starter and gears in machine then the one-way clutch is really cheap.

hrc200x
04-14-2003, 10:41 PM
on a 200x its most likly the ratched gears inbetween the cases. I'm not sure what causes it, possible people kicking it over fast like a dirt bike? I always kick it slowly, then bring the lever 1/2 way up, almost parralell to the ground then kick it.

ATCkrazy
04-15-2003, 07:19 AM
my 250SX does the same thing, it slips unless it's warmed up, im sure it's the sprag, new one is $94.99 at my honda shop, ouch.

Howdy
04-15-2003, 07:46 AM
on a 200x its most likly the ratched gears inbetween the cases. I'm not sure what causes it, possible people kicking it over fast like a dirt bike? I always kick it slowly, then bring the lever 1/2 way up, almost parralell to the ground then kick it.

The 250sx & 250es kick starter set ups are completely different than any of the 200x's, 250r's, or 350x's. Comparing the 2 is like comparing a vacum cleaner to a TV.

Howdy

Joel85350X
04-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Now wait a minute...my TV and vacuum are both panasonic!

j/k :-D

hrc200x
04-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I brought a 200x into this post because wanta250r asked what he could do about it to make it not slip on his 200x.

Howdy
04-15-2003, 02:13 PM
hrc200x. I missed that one. Sorry

On my 200x it slips if you don't use the kicker right. It will make a nasty, crack sound that doesn't sound good. I don't know what do about it

The Early model 200x's had a problem with the kick starters. Honda's cheap fix on that was adding a extra spring on the kick starter. How ever to add the spring you needed to split the cases. I just so happen to have a copy of the service bulletin Honda sent to the dealers at the time. I never thought about it but It is a must to add to the site. I will see if I can bring them home with me from the shop today.
Howdy

wanta250r
04-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Yah, mine is an 83, thanks. )

ATC crazy
04-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Mine did that too and I found out that if you push the lever in a little with your foot while kicking it...it would work great and not slip. At least it worked for me. :rolleyes:

jeswinehart
04-15-2003, 05:18 PM
ATC crazy, mine is the same way ! i stand up and get a firm compression stroke ready to go and like you said,,, just kinda kick inboard or towards the skid plate and it catchs 9 times out of ten.
untill i discovered that i thought i was gonna haft to split the case again.
still will probly next fall or winter if i have it that long.
i am a thinking that a thrust washer had been left out oor worn out if not the teeth on the kicker shaft (inside)

john

bbechtel16
04-16-2003, 01:48 PM
My SX used to do that now and again. I would hurt sometimes if you you were giving it a good kick when it slipped. But since my output shaft shattered and I got a new bottom end the new bottom end hasn't slipped on me yet. My friend's SX on the other hand slips all the time.