PDA

View Full Version : Why's my clutch hub and basket binding when I tighten the nut up?

Billy Golightly
11-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I don't get it, the service manual calls for 47ft lbs on this nut but if I make it over finger tight it binds on the basket and locks the two together. I've got the thick washer/shim in between the basket and the hub, washer and lock washer under the nut on the outside of the shaft. I'm running a Hinson basket with a brand new 89 clutch hub. It looks like the hub is extended out past the end of the shaft, and I'm thinking it should be flat/flush with it. If thats the case then I need to make a thinner washer that goes in between the hub and basket or I need to cut a little off of the hub where the shaft comes through.

I'll try and get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Yamahondaman
11-27-2006, 09:13 PM
YES ....Pic's !!
Something's wrong with the "going together" Stuff !!!
HEY !!! did you get the Cases Right Yet ?? and .............
i made 150 ctr. Case and Clutch,Water Pump Cover Dowl's Today !! STAINLESS
:naughty:

Billy Golightly
11-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah I got the cases figured out. The left side of the crank was in the case to far, so after a block of aluminum and a big hammer it moved back over to the right some and centered itself up. It rolls good and free after its all bolted up now.

Heres some pictures of the clutch hub on the end of the shaft like I was talking about. A little hard to tell, but you can see how the hub sticks out past the end of the shaft probably .080 or so. It seems like it would have to be flush (or behind) the end of the shaft.

ChrisD
11-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi Billy

The inner hubs have different part numbers so I don't know if they are the same dimensions. The 85-86 have a thrust washer behind the clutch basket and the 89 does not. By chance, did you forget to put the washer behind the basket?

I' sorry, but I never mixed different clutch parts.

Billy Golightly
11-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Chris I just compared part #s on Midwest Action Cycle's website and it showed the 86 and 89 hubs as the same, same for the washer?

Lets see if this works

86: http://www.midwestactioncycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1986&fveh=2817 Select clutch from the drop down and its #5. Washer is #21

89: http://www.midwestactioncycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=1989&fveh=3747
Select clutch from the drop down and its #5. Washer is #19

For the hell of it leme go try it without the washer.

Dirtcrasher
11-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Either it's the wrong washer behind the hub or could there be anything preventing that mainshaft from being "out" where it needs to - was the gearbox apart?? There is a washer on the mainshaft just in front of the case bearing too, correct? Could that be the wrong one also??

Billy Golightly
11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah its got th washer on the main shaft. It was a really thin one too, so I don't think its the wrong one. I'm either going to make a new thinner washer today or just cut some off of the hub. I'll check back in later on with the results.

ChrisD
11-28-2006, 12:17 PM
AAhhhh! Wait! There is an answer. It should fit together some way. Don't start cutting yet. I kick myself every time I do something hasty.

If you look at the schematic, the 89 does not have the washer behind the plate. Look up ietm #19 on the 86 sheet. I also know that they changed the bearings from 86 to 89. If you were to remove the washer, does the hub fit? Did you try to measure the width of the basket? Did you always have the Hinson basket? What did you change other than the hub? If that was all you changed, are the two hubs different widths?

Billy Golightly
11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
The hub fits and doesnt lock up without the washer but its got a ton of end play in it. The bearing setup that the basket rides on are different from the 85+. This is running the newer style with the double needle bearing. I've had the hinson but haven't been running it, the stock basket had the same problem but not as bad. I just kept the nut a little loose and used loctite and the lock piece on it.

The hubs appear to be the same in dimenions, theres a few tiny differences in the castings but thats it. They seem to have the same part #s too.