PDA

View Full Version : Kx trans?

cr480r
11-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Anyone ever run a kx trans in a tecate? I was wondering if the 4th and 5th gear differences are noticable. thanks.

tecat-z
11-27-2006, 08:28 PM
If you are referring to the first gen 84-85 the ratios are the same as a tecate. But the gears wont interchange with one another. The tecates gears have fewer teeth per gear and are cut deeper. The kx trans has more teeth per gear and are a bit shallower. The tecate trans is in theory a bit tougher to handle the added weight and traction a atv has over its 2wheeled cousin. I have been running a 84 kx trans in my 85 tecate for some time and have never had a problem. I also strap paddles on it. I wondered myself if the ratios were diffrent but the height of the gears 1st-5th was exactly the same which would deliver the same ratio. It is a bit confusing to think about, but each gear is still going the same speed on the shaft since they are slid on the tecate input and output shafts. I also used the kx shift drum and forks but ther is no difference between tecate and kx. I dont know if this holds true with 86-87 tecates and 85 kx250s since these motors are almost identical. Hope this helps

cr480r
11-27-2006, 08:54 PM
This makes perfect sense. I was just curious as I am building a trike around a 1985 kx engine and frame, and was wondering if the kxt trans had any advantages. I have never had the parts to compare. Thanks.

cr480r
11-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Do you know if the 84/85 kxt trans will fit in the 85/86 kx and 86/87kxt cases? I ask because I have 2 84 transmissions. One with a bad rod and one with a cracked case. Wondering if they are worth keeping around for parts?

tecat-z
11-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Dont think so, unfortunately i havent had the pleasure of owning a 86-87 t3. You would have to check oem numbers on first and second gen tecate transmission gears. If 1st-5th gear part numbers are the same on both tecates i would say they would. Just havent had to explore that avenue so i cant say for sure. If you are parting them i am sure someone on here would be interested in extra parts.