PDA

View Full Version : stripped bolt in 83 250R head

JasonB
11-26-2006, 10:06 PM
the front bolt stripped out last weekend and I didnt exactly realize it at the time. We put a new copper gasket on between the cylinder and the cylinder head I think its called. Anyways, I was torquing it down and the front bolt basically stripped out. I only have a standard (not metric) tapping set so Im probably going to just tap it with that, but the next size up wont fit through the top of the cylinder head:mad: my brother, atc-eric, suggested i replace all the studs at this time and I think I will end up just boring out the holes on the top of the cylinder head so that the larger bolts will fit. And the bolts are just slightly larger than the holes so i dont think it will be a fitment issue if I make the holes slightly bigger.

I think I have this all figured out, but im sure one of you hardcore trike guys can chime in and set me straight if my method is wrong :lol:

BTW, my brother eric (atc-eric) was cool enough to sell me his 83 250R he just picked up so that I could get back into the trike scene. These damn three wheelers are like crack!! I cant stop comming back to ride them since I sold my 250sx that I essentially did a frame up restoration on 3 years ago :naughty: trikes are like crack :lol: thanks again eric for selling me that bike, Im pumped to learn how to maintain a 2 stroke and I cant wait to tear it apart and restore it completely like you did with your tri-z :w00t:

jason 32
11-27-2006, 07:14 PM
why would you do all of them?
have it filled and re tapped youll be happier
or heli coil it

Erics350x
11-27-2006, 08:22 PM
i would just heli coil it. if you do go up in size you need tro to em all so they torque evenly.