PDA

View Full Version : HELPPP!!front sprocket bolt broke

gravelord
11-24-2006, 02:56 PM
i just went to change the front sprocket on my 85 250r, and the bolt broke in!! how do i fix this? any suggestions please help ahhh!!

bigredhead
11-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Got a picture of the damage ? ( would be helpful )

Do you have anything left to grab to at all ? or snaped flush..

Depending on the situation.. if it snapped flush.. take a dremel and grind the stub nice and flat.. centre punch it.. and start with a small drill bit working your way up in size until you can either take it out in pieces or re-thread it one size over if you have to..

If there is a small piece left.. sometimes you can use a nut and spot weld it on to get the stud out..

or with a dremel cutting disk.. cut a flat groove across it and use a big flat head screw bit on a socket wrench to push hard against it.

pictures.....

danteross77
11-24-2006, 04:30 PM
I would do exactly as desribed above but using a left hand threaded drill bit.once the bit catches it should back the remaining bolt out.

BigGreenMachine
11-24-2006, 04:32 PM
All very good ideas.

I like using an "easy out." Which is just like a tapered tap that has reverse threads. You drill a pilot hole in the broken bolt shaft then screw the easy out into it. Since the easy out has reverse threads you screw out the broken piece by screwing the tap in.

Its a pretty clever tool.

bigredhead
11-24-2006, 04:40 PM
you know... i'm either not doing it right.. have not paid enough for the one's i got.. but i could never get those easy outs to work worth a dam.... could be just me tho.. but if i strip or break a frozen nub with the stock bolt.. the ez out don't do nothin for me. YMMV

Dirtcrasher
11-24-2006, 04:50 PM
That shaft is HARD, which makes it much easier to get that bolt out. Either center punch it in the loosen direction or slot it with a dremel. I can always get snapped off fastners out of hardened shafts, it's when there in something soft and stripped that they are a bear to get out.

jason 32
11-24-2006, 06:56 PM
take the sprocket off turn it over and drill a pilot hole through it- if you get lucky it will loosen up and back out from the vibrations, if not - just keep drilling
bigger
easy outs are a pain because the damn things tighten in side what ever you are trying to get out -- and it puts pressure on the outer part
yea ive broke a couple - lol
-- or if you can heat the part up- and it will come out then

El'Capitan
11-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I would try a left hand diamond tip drill bit.

4cylinders
11-24-2006, 10:23 PM
hey, if you use heat, be careful to not take the temper out of the output shaft.

ceaserthethird
11-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Drill , From small to big ... then taker it out in bit's with a flat head screw driver.

I tryed easy out's ... No luck with them ...

jason 32
11-25-2006, 05:45 AM
--- sorry
take it off the bike if you havent , then you could heat it-
you don't want to ruin the seal,or warp the case

4cylinders
11-25-2006, 01:01 PM
hey, had some luck with torx bits. drill and tap it into hole, use a hex adapter, and back it out.

gravelord
11-26-2006, 08:07 PM
jason, its not in the sprocket, broken into the shaft, too late now, gave the engine to my friend, and im giving him money too and hes giving me one of his engines and hes going to rebuild this one, the bolt was just too far in there, couldnt really do much at all with it, the shaft has to be replaced. i wanted to tighten it pretty good, as much as i could without even thinking it may come out - but i didnt even think i tightened it hard. damned shame.. and to think - i wanted to prevent chain throw, i just did worse then a chain could ever do! LOL

Dirtcrasher
11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
If that motor had to be rebuilt anyhow, then that makes it a piece of cake to remove. Send that tranny shaft onto anyone with a lathe (like me or Billy) and it's simple to get out of there - No new shaft required.